1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

California Quail

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, May 21, 2019.

1. Just got back from 4 days of fly fishing in eastern Washington and along the way I had plenty of time to photography some of the wildlife in the area as well. Can't show any of the fish I caught, because I dropped my camera in the water. Fortunately it wasn't a real expensive camera but still was a favorite of mine to taking while fishing, LMX-5.
    This was my first time out with my new 500mm pf, killer lens.

DSC_4341 72wf.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_4407-2 72wf.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Louie

• Like Like x 2
  2. Fabulous shots of my favorite Quail. That pf lens sings!!!

3. Beautiful images Louie. I'll be in that area in a couple of weeks.

4. I love these Louie!!

5. Great shots!

6. Beautiful. A bird I've never seen.

7. Killer lens...killer photos....killer photographer... The first one rocks!

8. Pretty bird. Nice bird, setting, and bg. The lens is great, isn't it!!

9. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Killer lens + killer photographer = killer images!!!!!! Stunning!

10. Wow, killer IQ and backgrounds, not to mention a very cool bird. Tell the truth, the reason you couldn't show photos of the fish you caught is because they were to BIG to keep legally!

11. Very nice set Louis, still waiting for my 500 PF. Beautiful backgrounds.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  12. Superb! Beautifully done, I believe that you can make a great picture with any camera.

13. Thank you very much for such a nice compliment Bill.

14. Just struck me, this is a California Quail. Scaly belly and found up here. Gambel's is found down south/sw.

15. Thanks Nick, I wasn't sure but thought I saw some rusty color on it's head rather than just black and that's what lead me to believe it was a Gambel's.

16. When I moved up here a lifetime ago and saw my first CA Quail, I called it Gambel's since I was used to them from my time in Texas. I was promptly corrected, and was made aware of the scaled belly and neck. Otherwise they are so darn similar. Your pictures are so clear and sharp, so there is no doubt!

17. Beautiful Louie. How does the 500 pf's IQ compare to the 200-500?

18. Thanks very much Rick. As for a comparison between the 200-500 and the 500mm pf, after only one outing I'd say it's every bit as good, much faster in focus acquisition and a joy to handhold in comparison.

19. Thank you Terri.

Appreciate your comment Walter, thanks.

Thanks Daniel.

Thanks very much Alex.

Most appreciated Bob, thanks very much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.