California quail

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, May 16, 2007.

1. Last Friday my 4-day fly fishing trip turned into a one-day fly-fishing trip and 3-day wildlife photography outing. Eastern Washington is a high desert area with lots of different wildlife. There are lots of seep lakes surrounded by sagebrush and just vast areas of nothing much at all.

I found Black Necked Stilts, Meadow Larks, ducks, Quail, songbirds, Harrier Hawks, and I couldn’t believe it when a Black Crowned Night Heron flew over me. Well, that did it for the fishing the rest of the trip; I was off to the ponds every morning and evening.

This series is of the California quail that seemed to be just about in every sagebrush bush. Most all of these were shot out the window of my truck on a beanbag.

original.

View attachment 95949

View attachment 95950

View attachment 95951

View attachment 95952

View attachment 95953

View attachment 95954

Louie

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2007
  2. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Louis these are spectacular especially #s 1 and 2 the first being very clean and the second with him in mid call well done. I have tried often but nothing as nice as these:Wink:

3. Sweet shots, I just love the qualis, nice detail and color!

4. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    WOW, very well captured!

5. GastheerG

GastheerG Guest

great. I myself had skipt #4 because there is so much better. Good job!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow how great to catch a quail.
    Nice images

7. Very nice Louie. I look forward to more from your trip. How was the fishing?

8. Beautiful shots Louis. Did you catch any fish?

9. Thanks for commenting Troy. It seemed like in every bush there was a quail on the days I was in the area. They are pretty flighty birds can't get to close to them, so I shot all of these shots from within my truck using a beanbag out the window.

Louie

10. Thanks Andreas. The lighting conditions for the most part were very good while on this trip.

Louie

11. Thank you Robert I appreciate you taking a look.

Louie

12. Louie, these are fantastic shots. You know this is Janice's favorite bird. We are headed to Carmel and she has read about the Quails at the place we are staying. She has told me I must get lots of Quail pictures. If I don't, I will have to find out from you where you got these. Great shots, each and every one.

13. Super images Louis! Were you in the Rocky Creek area?

14. Just simply fantastic glad you were able to change your itinerary and get these great shots

15. Very impressive Louie!

16. Thank you for taking a look.

Louie

17. Thanks Gale, I was pretty happy to have captured these.

Louie

18. Thanks David. I've got a bunch more to process and post. The fishing was pretty great as well. Caught a couple nice 18" Rainbows before I stored away the fly rod and picked up the D2X.

Louie

19. very nice