California Speedway - Motorcycles!

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by dbguy, Aug 2, 2008.

1. So this is my first attempt, well kinda, at panning... First time shooting motorcycles.. these were fast!!!

i was shooting with a D80, 55-200 VR, hard without a monopod... well i never tried one.. but i would assume it would be easier.

C&C please!

Yamaha_r6_600cc.gif
    View attachment 232874
    View attachment 232876

2. nice images, andrew
    i like them

3. thank you :) first attempt at these fast beasts, i dont know what else could go faster than this.. i think im ready for anything now! =D

4. Hi,

These are good for a first attempt. . . what settings are you using etc etc. .

I shoot these for a living in the UK and can give you advice if you would like ..

Feel free to PM if you want . .

[​IMG]

5. ooOo makes my pictures look bad :( hahaha jk

thats a great image!

the first image i shot:
    1/500 sec, f/5.6, iso 200 @ 200 mm

second image:
    same setup as the first

third image:
    1/800 sec, f/6.3, iso 125 @ 200mm

i couldn't get close to them cause i didnt have a press pass :( so they were quite some distance from me. i did some minor cropping. i was using a 55-200 vr lens, not a pro lens.

6. John-O

John-O

Jul 26, 2008
    Carson, CA, USA
    Good job Andrew,
    The area of the first two pictures is a difficult place to shoot because no matter what time of day the sun is shining at you. The backside of the track is far more interesting than the front oval. Use a monopod when panning for more consistent results. I practice my panning on road traffic, start at 1/500 then work your way down to the desired effect.

A couple pics from the AMA event in April:
    D200 70-200mm f/2.8

2446131275_5e6c7aa930_b.png

View attachment 232878