Call me a contrarian...

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by bpdougd, Mar 16, 2017.

1. ... or OCD (Old, Cranky and Dangerous) but I am now a mirrorless-free photographer. I got rid of my m4/3 camera and lenses last week. I just stumbled across an Olympus flash and some lens hoods and I'll sell those soon.

I've started a number of threads here about my love/hate relationship with my m4/3 gear and in the end have decided that life is just too short to keep returning to the same unnecessary struggle. I'm keeping my Nikon gear (D750, D500 and a handful of lenses) and will probably pick up a leftover or refurb D5500 for my "light" "snapshot" kit.

I want to thank the many generous folks here who helped and encouraged me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The D750 and D500 are excellent workhorses! Honestly, I think I may start trimming back my mirrorless collection as well. Not sure what yet!

3. About a year ago I bought a $40 assemble-it-yourself chest of drawers on clearance at Kmart. I needed to organize my gear. After an hour of squinting at tiny, odd looking parts the chest was assembled and the gear was stored... most of it. All of it would not fit in 5 drawers. As I surveyed what I had collected over many years it occurred to me that, even if I was younger and physically able, I do not want to carry even a fraction of all that stuff with me.

Oddly enough, I thought of you, Jonathan, when I finally pulled the trigger and sold. I think you have and use the widest variety of photo gear of anyone on this site and I often wondered if you ever got frustrated trying to pick the tool for the day. I certainly have.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I understand how you feel. I've gone back and forth on the same road. I have a full roller bag of event gear, a nice collection of m4/3 gear, and I recently added a Fuji X70. I'm really enjoying the X70, smaller and lighter than my Pan GX85 body alone. Not as fast as my Oly 17mm & 25mm f/1.8 or Pan 42.5mm f/1.7, but fast enough I think. I got the GX85 because in general for this kind of shooting I preferred a rangefinder over SLR. But if I replace the 17mm & 25mm with the X70 I'm not sure it makes sense to keep the GX85 for my Pan 7-14 / 14-140 and the longer telephoto I'm looking to pickup. My first thought was to replace the GX85 with a G85 or E-M5 mkII.

But in the back of my head there's the D5500.

5. You stuck with it a lot longer than I did, Doug, but I concur with your choices. I'm really impressed with the D5500 I got for my wife. I ask her permission to carry it on hikes these days. With the kit 18-55 VR II and the new 70-300 AF-P it makes sterling images in a kit as light as most µ4/3 gear.

Did you see these pictures?

6. BrianVS

BrianVS

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    If you are a big fan of adopting older "orphaned" camera lenses for use on a digital camera, mirrorless is "just about" the only way to go. There are drawbacks- including shutter lag, viewfinder lag, and burning through batteries. They have come a long way, and there is room for both. Just not for everybody.

Oh. You are a Contrarian. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I still use DOS and FORTRAN. Sticking with SLRs and Rangefinders is the least of my being contrarian.

7. No, I had not seen those pics. How do you compare the 70-300 AF-P to the old 70-300?

8. My FORTRAN goes back to FORTRAN IV. Don't use DOS anymore (don't have any need) but I make occasional forays to the shell on my Macs.

The newest Oly has worked around some of the things that drove me crazy about m4/3 (one workaround being the clever Pro Capture feature) but to stay the course with m4/3 would have meant, for me, ponying up $2k for the new body and perhaps another lens. Going back and forth between FX and DX is enough confusion for my aging brain. Continuing to live with two very different systems and the tariff for the new body finally pushed me to choose.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

FORTRAN IV was a great upgrade. Allowed me to do things like this:
    74 write(7,151)izt
    151 format(1x,"Test number ",i11)
    if ((izt.gt.2).and.(mod(izt,2).eq.0)) goto 70
    l=sqrt(float(izt))+.5
    do 60 j=3,l,2
    if (mod(izt,j).eq.0) goto 70
    60 continue

Prediction. I think you will change your mind again when you have carried the weight of their heavy telephoto lenses for any length of time. You will decide to sell it all and buy the new Olympus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BrianVS

BrianVS

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    Love to see other FORTRAN programmers around!

For my Nikons- I use a 500/8 Reflex-Nikkor, not heavy at all. With the high-ISO performance of modern Digital cameras, the F8 aperture is fine.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. It is definitely sharper in the center, focuses much faster, and silently. It also weighs about half as much and is smaller.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I started with FORTRAN in 1963, but spent most of my life with FORTRAN IV, beginning in 1969. From then until I retired, I "thought" in FORTRAN. Along about 2000, I found I could do essentially the same things, but more easily, with MATLAB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    That's the reason I bacame a technician in the energy department :D:D:D

We had the choice: Energy, Data or Measuring technics.

Regards
    Klaus

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Oh, btw, I remember to program dBASE III and IV.
    My results were ever the same: chaos :LOL:

Klaus

• Like Like x 1
  15. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

dBase IV - yes I used that. A horrible messy program.

I used IBM's PL/1 too. A huge language. I once interviewed someone who claimed to be experienced in it. I asked them one question "What was the first line of every program you wrote?". They didn't know! The correct answer is PROC OPTIONS(MAIN);

• Like Like x 1
  16. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    It's good to get rid of gear you don't use! I've never seen you as contrary!

17. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    haha! Love this comment!

18. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I really like the compact dslr size from Nikon, and with the 18-40 kit lens does make for a compact package.

19. BrianVS

BrianVS

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    My first job was porting FORTRAN code to the first generation Vector Supercomputers, paid my 2nd half of college doing it. Used the "Internet" to Telnet into work, 1980. Worked with code from the IBM 704, IBM 7094, CDC 6600 and CDC 7600. When I say "HEAVY METAL", not talking about rock groups. Went to Fortran-77 with the Vax 11/780, and use it for embedded systems currently. The VAX- was to process data from Digital Imagers, I worked on the data acquisition system and image processing for some of the first digital infrared sensors, over 35 years ago. They were BIG, multiple racks of equipment. The "Quicklook" computer for it was a VAX 11/725, 200pounds- had to get it onto the P3 to test that the sensor worked.

Suddenly a Nikkor 500/4 does not seem very heavy, and a Nikon D750 very big.

But if you really want to define small...

15815509875_2fb851019d_b. RIMG0103 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Attached Files:

20. Doug, I am so with you here. I have so many lenses and cameras, and bags.
    I used to try to pack it all into the car and place it right where I could grab it
    easily. Never worked well. Too many choices I guess. And with my eyes changing
    all my lovely MF's will be going, along with some AF lenses I do not use much.

It took me a while to finally figure out that a few lenses just "work" for me! :joyful:

• Like Like x 1