Callaway Butterfly

Instead of heading to St Simons for Thanksgiving with a house full of extended family, We decided that we would spend several days by ourselves in a cottage in Callaway gardens. Rode bikes, took walks and then ordered take out to minimize interaction with others. One of the places where we did mingle although with masks was the Butterfly house. These guys are really hard to shoot and almost every time one landed it would fold up it's wings or face away from me. Trying to catch a semi decent shot was hard and BIF pretty impossible for my skill level.

Image below pretty heavy crop from the Z7 and 24-70 f4.0 @70mm iso 320, f7.1 1/100s Not sure what type of butterfly, but it was probably the most cooperative.

JWZ_1500.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BEAUTIFUL image, John! Really well done!

Thanks Karen, it was fun but frustrating, Everytime they landed they would fold up their wings, and when in flight, it was so jerky and erratic it was impossible to follow. Need more time with them.

Awesome job with this shot.

Thank you Louis, I've a couple more to try and process.

John, that's a beautiful photo! Callaway Gardens is one our favorite places on earth. What is the address of your cottage?

I've tried for over 20 years to get a decent butterfly photo there with limited success. Just too many bright windows and erratic activity. Looks like you caught a spot with some very favorable lighting. Kudos!!

John, that's a beautiful photo! Callaway Gardens is one our favorite places on earth. What is the address of your cottage?

I've tried for over 20 years to get a decent butterfly photo there with limited success. Just too many bright windows and erratic activity. Looks like you caught a spot with some very favorable lighting. Kudos!!
Thanks Mitch, This was my 1st time visiting and really did enjoy our stay. The cottage we stayed at was on Dogwood Lane #2221 and 2222. Ended up with 2 bedroom cottage as that's all they were renting out at the time. It was jus a short walk down the path to Robin Lake. One thing that we really enjoyed, was the Festival of Lights. Basically from end of Robin Lake they set up lights and music on a seven mile loop, took about an hour to drive through. Really quite impressive. Talked to some of the guys working traffic and was told that it takes about 2 months to put up the light which run Mid Nov-Jan 4th and then another two months to take them down. Apparently they do. leave some up around the back ponds/lakes which they use in weddings and other celebrations.

I believe that the image was taken around the interior core rather than towards the windows, pretty close to the pond and waterfall that has the turtles. Would definitely like to go back in spring.

Elegant capture of a beautiful butterfly.
Just lovely John.

Thank you PhilM lots of wonderful colors and different butterflies, This is jus one that semi cooperated.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom