CAM1000 Rocks!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Uncle Frank, Jan 2, 2006.

1. I took my new d200 for a test ride with the 28-70/2.8 at Palm Beach beach today. Between the d200's cam1000 and the lense's AF-S, the rig is fast enough for birds in flight... provided you can get close enough.

Running children are a snap...

View attachment 23554

... even if they're boogie boarding.

View attachment 23556

The big kids present a little more of a challenge...

View attachment 23557

... particularly when they're flying! I kept worrying they'd land on some unsuspecting swimmer's head.

View attachment 23558

Maybe it's best to leave the flying to the gulls.

View attachment 23560

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Cool shots Frank.

3. All nice. What was the keeper rate?

What settings? Did you use any of the dynamic area modes?

4. Great pictures!

Good thing you are on the other coast. :)

5. I can't tell you the keeper rate until I get on a fast computer so I can go through all 150 pictures, Ed, but I think I'm approaching the level of the d70.

I used several modes, including continuous and dynamic, but I'm not sure which is which :-/.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2006
  6. Uncle Frank.... you have written..
    "Between the d200's cam1000 and the lense's AF-S"

Whet do you mean...... cam1000

are you refering to 1000th of sec shutter speed?

sorry I ve not had dinner yet... the brain it not ... work... so ... good ... now....?

Mmmm dinner... maybe Italian .... off to cook dinner :)

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Cam1000 is the focusing system that the D200 uses.

8. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    He is talking about the AF Secsor Module.
    D70 has Multi-CAM 900 AF Sensor Module
    D200 has Multi-CAM 1000 AF Sensor Module
    D2h/x has Multi-CAM 2000 AF Sensor Module

9. UF, I have most certainly been finding the same in most cases. I have had a few "personal issues" :redface: with finding some poor technique on my part which became evident with the D200, but other than that the only issue I think I see that is CAM1000 related is that I don't think it is quite as good as the CAM2000 in low and dim light. Given that my D2H is gone I can't definitively test this, so it is a very subjective observation.

I like your pictures, and doing that with a 28-70??????? Man, you must have been pretty close, or done some hefty cropping. Here is one from much further away:

One of our rare sunny days here this winter, ISO 100, what a treat.

[​IMG]

10. Alcineia

Alcineia Guest

Hi Frank,
    can you tell me a little bit about your AF settings?

11. Hi, Alcineia, and welcome to the Cafe! I'm glad my post got you out of lurk mode :smile:.

As I said to Beezle, I used a number of shooting modes, including single, continuous... dynamic, grouped, etc. I don't see that stuff showing up in the exif data, and I'm not sure which is which. Sorry.

12. Looks to me like they all worked quite well.

13. You guys know how to have fun with a D200...!!! :biggrin:

UF, amazing last shot...!!!

I can't wait to get back to Cyprus and hold in my hands my new D200 which is waiting -patiently- since 12-21... :wink:

14. Greetings Frank:
    Glad to see that you are making out well with the new gear....
    I'm reading a lot of different opinions on how to set up the sharpening, tone, color mode, saturation and Hue on this body.
    Can you fill me in on what type of settings you are using?

Thanks

15. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Nice shots!

16. Hi, Doug! I'm shooting fine jpegs using the srgb color space and default settings for sharpening, saturation, and hue.

17. Thanks Frank... Just out of interest, why are you not shooting RAW?

18. I started off shooting jpegs, have been happy with the results, and don't see the need to complicate my workflow.

19. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Very nice photos Frank the seagull is outstanding!

20. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Doug, If you are interested, I'm shooting the D200 about the same as my D100. In fine, large jpeg (using the quality over image size compression choice) I am in color mode III, tone and sharpening to low, and am finding auto WB to be much more reliable than in the D100. I agree with UF about RAW. I tried it with the D100 and while I do see a difference, I need the buffer space/speed performance more than the quality. The quality of the jpegs out of the D200 is very good and will do me just fine. I also don't want to fork over another $100 for the new Capture. I still have Capture 3 that came with my D100. I'm not sure if the new NikonView I downloaded has the PS plug-in for the D200 RAW, but I never cared for the PS7 handling of the RAW files, Capture did it best.