Cambodia III - The Khmer Empire - Angkor -The Bayon Temple

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by _Jorge_, Jul 15, 2007.

1. _Jorge_

_Jorge_

Jul 3, 2007
    Thailand
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angkor

...Continuing my Cambodian series.

May 2007, 38ºc, 85% humidity, is not the best time of the year to visit Angkor but I decided to go there anyway. Climbing to the top of the ruins is a very good exercise and very good way to lose some weight... Carrying the backpack with the camera gear made me sweat like a pig in no time!

-------------------
    One hour flight from Bangkok to Siem Reap in Cambodia was like getting on a bus with wings...

This first pic was taken with a P&S
    [​IMG]

Don't know anything about turbine aircraft mantenaince but...
    [​IMG]

...the view didn't make me feel very safe. :biggrin:
    [​IMG]

This is the hotel I stayed in, US $26 per day in a double bed room, also there are Guest houses starting at US $6 per day, cheap enough?
    [​IMG]

Very nice guy, Sothea took me everywhere for just US $10 per day. From 5AM until dinner time. Best guide ever, educated, polite, friendly, knows a lot about the temples and the best spots and timings, rubish English as mine. He deserved the very nice tip. I can recommend this guy if someone wants to visit Angkor, hornsothea@yahoo.com mobile: 012 475 358
    [​IMG]

The south entrance to Angkor (US $40 for a three day pass to Angkor)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will start with The Bayon Temple and later I will post some of the Angkor temple and other ones. Nikon D80 & Sigma 10-20mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2007
  2. Thanks for continuing your series Jorge...stunning pics. Despite the heat, looks like you had some nice weather (i.e. no humidity haze)...I like the price (hotel), too!

3. Your excellent work out there keeps surprising me more and more, Jorge! Also your images make me wish an urgent trip to the far east. Please keep posting so I can manage to convince my wife...

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

4. GastheerG

GastheerG Guest

Great report. Love shots like #2 and 5. They are that other travelingshots

5. GlenF

GlenF Guest

Great pics Jorge, your my travel guide. :smile:

6. Great series, really enjoyed your pics! Have not been in this forum very often, looks like I need to visit more often.

7. Daniel-Swe

Daniel-Swe Guest

Very nice photos!
    Next time I go to Thailand I really have to go over the border and have a look there!

8. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    Hmm.. The pictures and your website aren't working mate ..

9. bunimoo

bunimoo

Sep 6, 2006
    Chicago
    amazing..ive studied this in my history classes and to see it in these photos...simply amazing