Cambodia

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by _Jorge_, Jul 13, 2007.

1. _Jorge_

_Jorge_

Jul 3, 2007
    Thailand
    Here some snapshots taken during a very short visit to Siam Reap in Cambodia. What a fascinating place to visit. The amazing Angkor, the Tonle Sap lake and it's floating village. These are from Siam Rep and surroundings and the Tonle Sap Lake. Thanks for looking.

Nikon D80 & 18-135mm lens, Exif is intact.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Amazing
    Very nice images.
    Hard life there

3. Jorge, great series of life away from the glamorous city, thanks for these! As Gale said, very hard life. I recently saw Angkor Wat on the Discovery Channel's "1,000 Places to See Before You Die" and admittedly, it's glamorized, but still, in a segment where they went to a water community, it certainly wasn't as hardscrabble as this.

Have you sampled the local delicacies?

4. Those are unbelievable. Really makes you apprecaite everything we have

5. _Jorge_

_Jorge_

Jul 3, 2007
    Thailand
    Thank you for your kind comments.

Only in part I agree with "Hard life". I saw a lot of poverty but also a lot of smiles, more than we can see in our western countries. They live their lifes at a very different pace, without our worries, concerns, fears and stress. They are not worried about paying the mortgages, taxes, or having a paranoid boss. Their kids are not asking for the latest Playstation console and the adults are not going to die on the street of heart disease after a whole life of stress at work and few divorces, also they don't think photographers are potencial paedophiles or terrorists :biggrin::rolleyes: 

The land provides most of what they eat, they raise chicken, ducks and the whole family system helps. Major problems still the landmines left behind by decades of war, lack of basic things like potable water and basic health care. Money here never helps, only makes few ones more rich and powerful than before. These are just my humble opinions and i might be wrong.

I wouldn't say their life is better, it is just different and, of course I wouldn't trade mine with theirs. It's a different world and culture.

Chris,

I went to Cambodia to visit Angkor Wat (Wat means temple) and all the other beautiful and exotic temples and ruins around, like the Bayon temple and the Preah Khan temple (also known "The Tomb Raider temple" due to the filmmaking) a place is well worth a visit and I will try to post some pics in the forum but to be honest I was more interested to see how the locals live their own lifes.

Living in Thailand gives me the opportunity to try some of the local delicacies (some are similar to the "Cambodian delicacies"), so far as I know, I ate crocodile tail, frogs and jelly fish but the most disgusting thing I ate was grasshoppers fried in the same oil as the cockroaches so they had the same taste. Heads are crunchy but their creamy butts are ARRRRGGGHHHHHH!

Sorry for my lack of English, I hope it doesn't sound too harsh or rude because that is not my intention. Thank you all

6. Hi Jorge, not at all! Thanks for the updated info....

7. GlenF

GlenF Guest

Jorge thank you for this tour of a place and way of life that I would otherwise never see. I've traveled Europe and some of the Middle East but not to Asia, wow. Pretty pictures are nice but these bring forth many different emotions for me. 1st, I'm glad I live where I do. 2nd, they are smiling and seem ok with their lives, there may something to learn from that.

8. _Jorge_

_Jorge_

Jul 3, 2007
    Thailand
    Thank you so much Glen. I think I can understand what you mean and I feel the same way. I left my country (Portugal) when I was seven years old, lived in five different countries (Africa, Asia and Europe) and so far, visited fourteen countries, sometimes I don't know where I belong but make me think about a lot of issues and I do compare situations, standards, ways of life and so.

Thanks again.

9. Nice reportage. Where's the Angkor shots?!

10. _Jorge_

_Jorge_

Jul 3, 2007
    Thailand
    Thanks Justin. I will post some pics of the vast Angkor Empire in another thread.

11. Nice captures! Thanks for sharing! :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.