Cambodian Monk....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
From trip in 2005, to Siem Reap, Cambodia. Wonderful trip!

Comments and suggestions for improvement very much appreciated. I'd like to improve....

.8 s @ f5.6, OLD 24-120 VR, @ equiv 52mm....using D100....no flash...ISO 200

DSC1376-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a really cool shot. The only offerings I have are that I think I might have liked this shot cropped a little tighter, or a little wider. This seems to be cropped kinda' in the in-between zoom range that doesn't quite fit.

Also, it looks like your focus point was on the vase (jar) on the right and your monk seems a tad out of focus to me.

Still a very, very cool shot. :smile:

Real Name
Tony Admana
I like it a lot. Altho', I would be interested to see this on a wider cropped and expose the room just a bit. But that just me. It's a nice pic as it is.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Geez - thanks everyone! I really appreciate the response!

This is my favorite shot from Cambodia. Considering the D100 and 24-120 VR weren't the greatest, it came out pretty well.

Regarding the crop, I agree it feels "different". The raw file (below) has just a little more room....but on the right behind the monk. I don't have room to crop the top or bottom. Maybe I should just leave it uncropped????? OR better yet, I'll have to tell my husband we need to go back!

i-nNJkz6R-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There's nothing about this shot that doesn't work for me. Nitpicking (and this from a hack, but I do know what I likes when I sees it, so....): the upper right corner is juuuuust a tad too dark and, if I'm being ludicrously picky, throws the balance off juuuuuuuust a bit. But that's only because I'm looking at it with a critique in mind. If I saw this framed and displayed on your wall, I'd be completely taken by the photo.

Very, very nice! I think the crop is just perfect.

The only very small comment would be that the bright blue bowl in the lower left tends to draw my eye away from the subject. The bright blue doesn't flow smoothly with the predominately earth tones. I don't suggest cropping it out, because I do like the red in the bowl above it. Maybe a very slight darkening in the LL corner?

But even with the blue bowl, this image is excellent. Well done!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The color in that image is just striking. Wow...very nice.

Thank you, Seneca!

excellent work keep it up

Good point! I need less computer time and more shootin' time!

There's nothing about this shot that doesn't work for me. Nitpicking (and this from a hack, but I do know what I likes when I sees it, so....): the upper right corner is juuuuust a tad too dark and, if I'm being ludicrously picky, throws the balance off juuuuuuuust a bit. But that's only because I'm looking at it with a critique in mind. If I saw this framed and displayed on your wall, I'd be completely taken by the photo.

Thanks so much for your comments. I may very well get this one framed!

Very, very nice! I think the crop is just perfect.

The only very small comment would be that the bright blue bowl in the lower left tends to draw my eye away from the subject. The bright blue doesn't flow smoothly with the predominately earth tones. I don't suggest cropping it out, because I do like the red in the bowl above it. Maybe a very slight darkening in the LL corner?

But even with the blue bowl, this image is excellent. Well done!

Really good point about the bright blue bowl. Perhaps I could de-saturate it some..... THANKS!

Nice mood, great color. Cropping looks fine to me. It would be nice if the eye was sharper, but sometimes it has to be what it is, especially in low light.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Nice mood, great color. Cropping looks fine to me. It would be nice if the eye was sharper, but sometimes it has to be what it is, especially in low light.

I appreciate your comments!

You are right - I didn't get to set up and take several shots!

Nat Geo Cover Shot! Amazing, Karen!

My humble thanks, Steve! This shot conveys a lot of things/emotions I felt during the trip. Words of encouragement always welcome!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom