Camera Backpacks

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by PGB, Jan 25, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Well folks, i'm having to upgrade my backpack for my gear. I have the Lowepro mini trekker currently. It can barely hold 2 bodies and 2 small zooms.

I have ordered a Tamrack Expedition 7 model and hopefully it will work better.

http://www.tamrac.com/5577.htm

Once it arrives and I've loaded it up I'll give a full review here on the forum.

I'm a sucker for cool bags for my gear, vests, other geeky stuff. I'm starting to go nuts like I did for my guns. I have probably one of every holster made for a Sig Sauer (all models), as well as Glock.

What type of apparatus do you carry your camera gear in and do you find to have too much or too little with you when you go out in the field?

Thanks,

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Still waiting on its arrival. It has been backordered. :(

3. www.kinesisgear.com

One great bunch of stuff. I have adapted a Lowe-Pro Street and Field vest to attach to this which gets the weight more distributed. Really nice, easy to carry and get to equipment as needed. I found the Kinesis belt to be more comfortable than the Tamrac or Lowe versions.

4. Guess if I ever go around with more than the D2h, 300 and 1.4x on my monopod, I'll have to look into this. All I need beyond that is something to clip a water bottle on my belt, or a small case for my 1.4x in case I decide to take it off.

Guess I cant hang with you big dogs.

Woof woof. :roll:

5. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Bill,

I have the S&F vest and belt from Lowepro. The vest portion just doesn't fit me well. I've only tried it a couple of times so I might could adjust it. It seems like the strap that goes down the back isn't long enough.

Harris,

Come on now, i thought you were getting a 500f4..... :lol:

6. Patrick,

I dont need a backpack for that one, more like a shopping cart to roll it around in.

7. Harris, not a shopping cart, get a Sedgway. Put a Kirk Window Mount on the handlebars and just roll away. Might want to carry a spare battery or two just in case.......

Peter, I am fairly short, 5'9", and the S&F vest works well. I have also seen Ron R with, I think, the same vest. I had to modify it and the Kinesis belt slightly, just adding a few buckles/snaps, and it works well for me. If you are taller than I am I can see where the strap on the back might be too short. I can think of two simple solutions. One would be to stitch another lenght of strap to the end, the other would be to used a buckle and loop to attach more strap from the belt upwards. If you have a fabric shop nearby, we have one that specializes in outdoor gear, you might take your bits down to them to see what they could help you put together.

8. I really HATE backpacks

so I bought one. Figured I would need one for an upcoming trip. All my shopping was online -- in other words, a guess. I own some Lowepro Toploader stuff so looked at thiers, checked out the Tamrak and the "Brians Hot Tub" (those Aussies are a little nutz), and bought a Kata R-102. How did I come to that enlightened decision, you ask? It was a coin flip.

http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/katar102/index.php

It arrived yesterday. I have spent the last two nights trying to stuff all my stuff in it. Did I mention I HATE backpacks. The curved shape of the Kata will help working my way through tight places in the flora but it does limit the interior space a bit. My primary problem with a "compact" bag is those fat hats on the 70-200VR and the 17-55DX. If not for those BIG lens hoods, I would have plenty of space. I am impressed with the gear protection of the Kata. The interior is very well done and the exterior will take quite a knock before the gear even knows it happened. I think it's going to work out fine -- I just need to work on adjusting those dividers a little more.

That said, I would be interested in your thoughts on the Expedition. I notice it is more "squared off" and may provide a little more space.

Have I mentioned I HATE backpacks? Probably has something to do with the 82nd Airborne. :lol:

Phil

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Phil,

I also just received my Tamrac just the other day. I've got it stuffed but it is really heavy. :( I'm working on a review of it and will report later.

Thanks,

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Patrick,

Had a chance to give the new pack a workout yet? I'm interested in seeing how you like it.

Thanks,

Frank