Camera bag, anything like this?

I looked at a Lowepro Slingshot 302AW yesterday. Very nice bag for a more well packed run & gun day.

But one thing I do NOT like is that to open the "front" you have to open the side also. That seriously limits the usability and speed of the bag.

For example; I recently found myself in a position where I carried 2 bodies, one with a 70-200 and one with a fast prime, wide zoom or a fish. Sometimes i needed a flash. Something like the 302AW would be perfect as I could alway stow my unused body in the side compartment and access it quickly. But to change lenses or grab a flash I would have to completely open the bag to get to the "front" compartment. This is not only cumbersome but having two sides of the bag open at the same time looks like an accident in the making. Way to easy for the 2nd body to fall out of the side while I'm poking around the front.

Now if the bag had separate opening flaps for the front and side, the bag would be awesome.

Any bag company make a sling bag like this? I'm specifically looking for a sling bag here. For medical reasons I cannot have a strap over my left shoulder anyway so I'm not looking at backpacks at all.

Why wouldn't you use a messenger style bag? Many have a zippered top in addition to the flap. GH

Have you checked out the Think Tank Sling-O-Matics? They open only from the side, like a messenger bag, but have a cool system where you can slide the strap from one side of the bag to the other to switch which shoulder it sits on, while still having the opening on top.

Thanks for the suggestions, the Kata bag looks like it might be exactly what I'm looking for!

Hmm, I haven't really looked at messenger style bags. I may have to go to the store and try one or two. I'm starting to think a standard shoulder bag may not be a bad idea either. I'll be likely going back to the same location in a month so I really appreciate the replies.

Have you researched a waist belt system as an option? Don't mean to pry but wonder what specific physical limitations you have. My body is pretty beat up after years of abuse too.

Good luck.

For the size I would need to hold body + 70-200 + 2 or 3 small lenses + flash I think a waist belt might be a little much. Plus to be honest I think they are a little.. well... goofy.

Last year I had an AICD implanted (overgrown pacemaker) on my left side. They say a strap from a heavy backpack against it will not be a problem but I choose not to push my luck and besides, it is still rather sore most of the time so it would not be comfortable to carry a backpack anyway. Thus the need for something that only goes over one shoulder.

Shoulder bags can be tiresome to carry. Kata 3n1 bags can also be worn as a backpack..much more comforable.

How did you come up with that? I can't imagine your shoulder knows what kind of bag is hanging from it. A backpack works well if all you do is walk around with your stuff. If you plan on using your stuff it is more trouble than what it is worth in my opinion. GH

How did you come up with that? I can't imagine your shoulder knows what kind of bag is hanging from it. A backpack works well if all you do is walk around with your stuff. If you plan on using your stuff it is more trouble than what it is worth in my opinion. GH

I see Cobralust's point, and it's why I'm leaning towards a sling bag over a shoulder bag.

A sling bag, although over one shoulder, keeps the center of gravity distributed at or near the centerline of your body. A shoulder bag will always pull you toward one side. So although both are suspended from only one shoulder, one will be more balanced.

I agree, nothing is more comfortable than a backpack, but I cannot wear one any longer so that is not an option for me. Trying to go for 2nd best here.

Just a thought, I have the same bag, if I had two bodies and really wante to carry it all with me I'd take the 302AW along with the other lowepro bag I have which is more like a sholder bag with the other lens. you could sling them both over the same shoulder. That should meet you need I think. The 140 (The other bag) can also be attached to your belt.

I see Cobralust's point, and it's why I'm leaning towards a sling bag over a shoulder bag.

A sling bag, although over one shoulder, keeps the center of gravity distributed at or near the centerline of your body. A shoulder bag will always pull you toward one side. So although both are suspended from only one shoulder, one will be more balanced.

I agree, nothing is more comfortable than a backpack, but I cannot wear one any longer so that is not an option for me. Trying to go for 2nd best here.

A sling bag will also end up at your side without constant adjusting by the user. Most sling bags are deeper than they are wide and less prone to shifting than a shoulder bag carried behind your back. GH

A sling bag will also end up at your side without constant adjusting by the user. Most sling bags are deeper than they are wide and less prone to shifting than a shoulder bag carried behind your back. GH

Interesting, thank you.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom