Camera Battery Explodes at Airport, Sparking Panic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Panther, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    UGH! And the camera was turned on????? Why oh why? I take my batteries out of the camera bodies for travel......and make sure the cameras are turned off. Simple mistakes - but unfortunate all the same.

2. The article itself doesn't indicate the status of the camera. Only someone anonymously posting on social media indicated that the camera had been left on.

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Agreed. But with the camera turned off, there would be a very, very low chance of the battery overheating...

4. The camera could've accidentally turned itself on if jostled within the bag, and the owner was unaware of it. To me that seems a more likely scenario than someone putting his camera in the bag while still turned on. Like Karen, I always take batteries out of my cameras when preparing for a flight somewhere.

5. Batteries out, capped and packed separately.
    Was the offending brand Canon? :LOL: Or was Desmond passing through the country? :rolleyes:

6. I just now read every single reference to the terms, battery and batteries, in my camera manual. (Thank goodness for the find function when using a PDF!) Nowhere does the manual explain to remove the battery from the camera to help prevent the battery from exploding. Similarly, nowhere does the manual explain to turn off the camera to help prevent the battery from exploding. That's despite that the manual does provide a list of eleven items that constitute improper handling that could cause the battery to explode, leak or be drawn down by the camera.

If the battery has the greatest chance of exploding when the camera is turned on, that also means it has the greatest change of exploding when the camera is touching my face. (Darned good reason for always using a tripod while the camera is tethered to an electronic device a good distance away!)

Based on this limited research, the only reason I can think of to remove a charged battery from the camera for relatively short periods of time is to prevent the camera from becoming damaged if indeed the battery does explode.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The manual for the D850 warns,
    • Do not let your skin remain in prolonged contact with this product while it is on or plugged in.

;):D:eek::rolleyes::cautious::ROFLMAO:

• Like Like x 1
  8. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    The position of the On/Off switch has no bearing on where the battery is being drained by the camera since Nikon DSRLs do not completely turn off, unless the battery is removed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
  10. Why should the battery have exploded? I've never heard of one exploding before. If it can happen in an airport it can happen anywhere, so why haven't we heard of more? Something is odd here, IMO.

11. U.S. Postal regulations are somewhat complicated and may have changed recently, but they at least used to require a lithium battery to be installed in the item that is being shipped and the item to be prevented from turning on. When I recently sold my D700 I put the battery in the camera and put some tape over the On/Off switch. But it always seemed to me better to have the battery separate from the item as long as it was capped.

12. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    One reason can be short circuit as explained in the link above your post - breaching the polypropylene layer as well as a direct short for whatever reason could do it.
    To see what happens when shorted in an outside environment watch the link below (interesting stuff starts around 12 minutes in). I do not think it too much of an imagination stretch to see the potential for explosion or even fire when the battery contained.

13. Panther

Panther

Jun 1, 2009
    Texas (KSKF)
    I wonder if it was a 3rd party battery...?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks Tony. I am aware that batteries can be dangerous things and we all know about the mobile 'phone meltdowns but still, this is the first time I have heard of a camera battery exploding. You would have thought we would have heard of more, so at this stage I am still assuming that there were peculiar circumstances in this case.