Camera body for copying photos.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by atl10a, Aug 9, 2008.

1. atl10a

atl10a

Apr 26, 2008
    Coram, NY
    I have been using my D80 with either a 60mm micro or the 17-55 to reproduce our old pictures. I would rather not keep changing lens even though the 17-55 is easier and I would rather have a dedicated camera. I would like some opinion's on a used Nikon for use with the 60mm micro. I will be using a few daylight lamps instead of using flash. D80's haven't dropped enough in price to consider another one. Which camera body would be best for this purpose. D50, D70, D40, D40x? AF isn't issue and neither is flash capabilities.

Thanks GTF

2. How big are you planing on enlarging?

3. atl10a

atl10a

Apr 26, 2008
    Coram, NY
    I'm not.
    If I do not more then +1 size.
    My wife and son do scraping booking and I also send out emails of older photo's.

4. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    I would go with the D70, it will use most any lens, the d40 only works with afs, they are reasonable and give very good resolution. And I believe you can use Nikon software to load directly to your pc screen so you can check as you go.

5. atl10a

atl10a

Apr 26, 2008
    Coram, NY
    I don't care about autofocus.
    I'm not sure about 6.1 vs 10mb for this type of work.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    For scrapbooking and email, 6 megapixels seems more than enough.

7. Not an answer, but why not use a flatbed scanner?

8. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    D50 is 6.1 MP. It also will autofocus with lenses that the D40 won't (screw drive)

You can also prolly get one cheap that has the famous popup flash issue (I had this happen to me aswell)

the D70 or D70s would have better metering however.

9. I think any camera would be fine, so really just pick a cheap one,. the macro lens should be good on any of them

cheap flatbed scanner seems an easier option to me though