Camera Envy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gho, Feb 20, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Some of you may know of my daughter's photography, so I thought I'd keep ya peeps in the loop. I hope this is not inappropriate, as it does say "Discuss anything on your mind. Just keep it clean!" as a General Discussion forum.

The Coolpix that Ximina bought recently met an untimely demise. Ximina's little sister threw it, and now it only takes black pics. Sad since she only had it for less than a year and only around 3K exposures on it. Her original Kodak still takes great pics, but I still haven't been able to loosen the mode dial, so she can't turn it on by herself as its too stiff now.

So, its back to the camera shop. She has two main criteria when choosing a camera: 1) a big screen and 2) small. Lo and behold, in the end small wins out and what does she choose?

Welp, here's a shot she took today (well, yesterday):
    [​IMG]

What did she choose? Hope I don't get flamed. So I'll just say. Click here and check the EXIF:
    http://www.pbase.com/ximina/image/39950472

Anyways, now I'm starting to have camera envy. Her camera peforms just as well as my T1, is smaller, has some really nice features, image is clean, and has plenty of detail. I'm thinking I should trade her my T1. But she actually chose her camera over the T1 at the store, so I don't think that's going to happen :/

Anyways, here are her galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/ximina

Is anyone actually interested in her photos? Or is it just me that thinks they are interesting? Lemme know if I should keep posting updates.

2. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Gregory

There will be a special commission to investigate if this was allowed
    :D

Thanks for the dolphin

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    You're treading on thin ice mister!

I was appalled that you would dare post even a *link* to a "C" brand shot on this resolutely Nikon board! Ahh, who cares :lol: It's a neat shot and really shows creativity with it's unique perspective. I really enjoy both your AND her shots, so do keep em comin! (ps, look for my bird post ;) ;)

4. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    hans, man I'm gonna get banned now ;)

Steve I was wondering about that and this being "N" cafe and all. Didn't want to offend anyone. I'm wonding now if I get her Coolpix fixed, if she'll use it. But I must say that the shots are clean with plenty of detail.

The best thing about her photography IMHO, is her unique perspective. She's a "auto" type photographer, but she gets those shots that don't even cross my mind. I'm learning slowly though.

I looked for your bird post, but didn't see it. Where is it? I'd love to see it.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    What I want to know is "Do have enough computers?" :)

6. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Hmm... You mean my digital darkroom? Nah, never enough computers. What I really need is a good monitor.

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Gregory,

I looked at every one of Ximina's interesting pictures.

You know you've given her a great gift by teaching her how to use the camera. It's like teaching tennis to a babe. She'll grow with it and she'll be a photographer the rest of her life. Wonderful idea to do her gallery so she can be proud of her pictures and know you're proud of them too.

I taught elementary for many years and also have many kids (all grown). If I'd had digital cameras years ago I'd have had one for each of my kids. So many new possibilities with digital.

I'll be watching to see all Ximina's Canon :) camera pictures.

Good job :!:

Gaye

8. I have been an Ximina fan for a long time and have watched with interest as she grows with her photography. Too bad she broke her Nikon.

9. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Gaye: Actually, I didn't teach her, she just picked it up on her own. My younger daugher doesn't even show the slightest interest in photography.

Ximina was shooting at 1. Sissy is almost 2. The other day, Sissy tok Ximina's camera and threw it, breaking it so it only takes black pics now. That's why we had to Ximina the new camera.

Ximina treasures photos, carrying them around carefully with her everywhere. Sissy crumples them up, chews on them and tears them to shreads.

We gave sissy a plastic toy camera to placate her, but she still jacks Ximina's camera when she thinks no one is looking, and then whacks it on the table top.

If you look at her 2003 gallery, there's a shot in there how it all started with Ximina... When Sissy plays along with Ximina, with her toy camera, she point.

Gordon: Actually, Ximina didn't break it, Sissy threw it and it broke. Hopefully we can get it fixed though. I'll post updates every once in a while though so that you'll be kept in the loop with her photography.

10. Actually

Some of them are better than some of the stuff that adults post over at DPR. Road (which is a Nikon pic, BTW) is a fine image. Gosh, a photographic Mozart in the making...

11. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Thanks Peter! Yes, the "Road" was taken at the San Diego Wild Animal Park on a moving tram - I have difficulties getting off a clean shot myself.

She only picked up her camera the other day, so only the last few are from it. But some of her best images so far has been from the coolpix. She definately takes adantage of her equipment, though I'm not sure how since she doesnt read yet.

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Gregory,

We don't do flames here. The N name comes from the fact that Patrick and I are both Nikon shooters, but we have absolutely nothing against other brands or the users of them.

I like the fact that we don't have multiple brand galleries, but IMHO, 'General Discussion' means just that. I just don't care. No, let me put it more strongly; I encourage folks to post what they are interested in, be it N or not N.... 8)

And BTW, I for one am very interested in following Ximina's photographic adventures. They are fascinating.... :wink:

Regards,

Frank

13. Henry, you are in REAL trouble now......

Having two daughters myself, both grown and mostly out of my hair (little that is left) now, I can tell you that you are already on the Road to Perdition.

1. Ximina is alrady into "brand names", this will cost you a fortune as she grows
    2. Ximina already is rebelling against Dad, just look at the camera choice
    3. Ximina is young enough that you now have MANY MANY years left for her to hone her rebellious skills, all pointed to driving you crazy.

You know what they say, henry, "Friends don't let Friends buy 'C'"...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All totally tongue-in-cheek, except for the bits about raising girls. They WILL drive you crazy, just look at what it did to me :cry: :wink:

It will be intersting over the years to see if she keeps up the interest. It is truly fun to "see through the eyes of a child", keeps us all fresh. From a true "old-fart" parent to a fairly new one, I think you are on the right track, allowing the children opprotunities from such an early age. Good on ya', mate.

One thing that is quite interesting to me in looking at the images is that we, adults that is, go through so much to try to "get it right", and then along comes Ximina who "just does it", with much less stress I am sure.

Keep us informed, and keep up the good job.

14. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Hi Bill,

To address your points:
    1) Oh, man, you haven't seen nothing yet. Whenever we go anywhere she always manages to pick the most expensive things. We go to stores, and what does she look at? The Fine Jewelry section - not the cheapie costume jewelry. Her Chrismas present costed more than the camera :/

2) Hehe... Actually she has quite similar tastes - if I didn't look at the label, I might have bought the same camera.

3) Actually, she's amazingly helpful. How many 3 yo have you seen that ask to "clean the fish tank" or "mop mop, vacumme vacumme?" Her little sister, on the other hand, now she's one that drives me crazy. Don't even get me started on that. Needless to say, you're absolutely right there.

I try to be as flexible as possible, while keeping the lines well drawn with my daughters. It's tough and I really respect "olf-fart" parents. Thanks for your kind comments.

I'm wondering too, how long she'll be interested in photography. I get the distinct feeling its not going away anytime soon, she's been shooting for since 2003.