camera for a 9yr old

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by gchappel, Sep 28, 2008.

1. I have a friends daughter I would like to help out in photography. She is interested in photography, and actually has read on the technical aspects and wants to learn. At the same time she is 9yrs old and not really focused on anything. She does take pictures with whatever she can find, my point and shoot, her cell phone, etc.
    I was looking for a fairly "simple" small camera that has manual capablilties. I would like her to be able to easily print small 4x6 pics easily. I was actually thinking of getting her a canon g9, a manual flash (stobist style) and one of the 4x6 canon selphy printers. Any experience or other ideas here? I was going to go the slr route- but she is not ready for that yet.
    I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences.
    Gary

2. I started all mine out with point & shoot cameras...

If they want to pursue the passion as they get older and ask for something more, I would consider something similar to a D40 or current comparable.

3. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Here's another data point.

We have a friend/neighbor who is an 8-year-old. Her parents (especially her dad) are both highly educated, and are deliberately choosing to expose her to as much good experience as they can. (We worry that it's a bit much for a child, except that she seems to be happy with her life.)

Through his academic connections, her dad hooked her up with a photographer. She now has a D80 and is 'working' with the photographer. She doesn't do anything about displaying or printing (I'm assuming the photographer decided that was too much complexity too soon). Right now her "job" is to learn to use this D80 to her and its maximum capability.

4. When my daughter was about 9 we bought her a Coolpix P&S, has worked very well for her. Now she is 12 and constantly swipes my D70 or D300 when she gets the chance.

I might hand over rights on the D70 +18/200 to my wife and her - that way I can keep "my precious" D300 all to myself.....

5. We gave son a small P&S camera for his 9th birthday. Last Chrismas, a few weeks after turning 11, he bought himself a used D50 from a Cafe member. He even took delivery of the said camera himself while we were on vacation in NYC !!! Except for the 300/2.8 which is still a bit heavy for him, he has used all my lenses already. In fact, he also use my D2H's when he needs something more robust...

I'd say, depending on the budget available, going to a used entry level camera like the D50 will provide years of pleasure to that child. Just slap a 18-55 zoom or a 30/1.4 and you've got an instant P&S dslr. For around $350, you'll get a D50 with the zoom if you're patient a bit. That's a great starter kit that won't loose much more value over the next few years so you could probably be able to sell it for around $250-275 once it's time to move on to a more feature rich body.

6. Thanks for the d50 thought. I need to double check with her about her size expectations, but that would work for me.
    Thanks
    Gary

7. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    +1 for a used D50. Great camera, jst saw one in the FS forum at a great price.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.