camera for real estate

a friend of mine is looking for a camera to use for real estate related photography. there is a budget of $800. would a nikon d3100 with the kit 18-55mm work ok?

That would get him started. But I find my Tokina 12-24mm wide angle zoom VERY handy for interior shots. Able to capture a lot more of the room in a single shot. I think he would be better off with a D40 or newer used body & a wide angle zoom.

Definitely go for the wide angle lens here. A Sigma 10-20 is a great place to start especially if the interior rooms are small. As for the camera, get the cheapest one with Live view, this helps when you are taking a shot from the corner of the room and you cant see through the viewfinder, trust me it makes a world of difference. If he can stretch the budget a bit further get the D5100 with the articulating screen.

You don't need a new camera to pull this off. You'll be shooting on a tripod most of the time anyway, and you'll need a wide angle lens.

Get a good tripod ($150). Get a D40/D3000/D80 ($250-400). Get that Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 lens. And you'll be set. That'll put them right around $800.

The D40 will be plenty by the way. :happy:

Then your friend can start saving for lighting. In the meantime, The LR/Enfuse plugin for Lightroom will be a nice, NATURAL, job of stacking multilple exposures. You get properly exposed windows AND interiors. At the same time.

The little pop up flashes make terrible light. You need to learn lighting and spend as much on that as a camera. Photography has more to do with light than cameras.

If you don`t do it right, it looks like amateur night.

My Baird & Warner office hires only pro photogs because it makes a world of difference in the presentation.

Your friend should be thinking about a lens for real estate as well, where wider tends to be the order of the day. I just picked up a Sigma 8-16mm I'm dying to try out on my D7000 (or D300). From everything I read, it's slightly better than the Sigma 10-20 (which I used to own) and should give some nice perspectives, especially for interiors.

To answer your original question more on-point, the D3100 and 18-55 would, IMO, barely enable the type of photography your friend will need. My recommendations (well above his budget, for sure) would be:
- A camera with low light capability: the D3100 is okay, but the D5100 may be better
- A SWA lens (like the 8-16 or 10-20) along with a more standard mid-range zoon (16-85 would be my recommendation)
- A flash he should bounce or use off-camera for some interiors that have limited lighting
- And a tripod for those slow shutter interior shots

If he wants something quicker and dirtier than that, have him get a m4/3 or even a P&S camera.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom