1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Camera Gear for Europe Cruise

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by general, Jul 3, 2008.

1. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Next month I will fly to Berlin, then cruise down the Elbe River to near Prague with stops along the way. I don't want to take equipment I won't use but don't want to miss taking the correct photos. I plan on taking the D3 with the 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and the D300 with 18-200. Do you think I will really need the 70-200? I would welcome any advice you may have. Thanks in advance.

2. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Criticize Nikon

I guess I should have complained about Nikon marketing decisions.

3. gaopa

gaopa

Jun 30, 2006
    NE Georgia
    Don, for European travel I take one body... a D300 and two lenses... my 18-200 VR and my 50/1.8 plus my SB-800 flash. I find that this combo does a great job for me and it all fits in one camera bag with ease. Oh, I also take my Nikon Coolpix 5200.

Have a great trip.... river cruises are great. If you get a boat Capt. who is a photo enthusiast you may even end up sitting at the Capt.'s table for dinner! Cheers, Bill P.

4. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Thanks

Thanks, gaopa. I appreciate your input. I am looking forward to the trip since although I have traveled extensively in Europe, I have never been to Berlin or what used to be East Germany, nor in Prague.

5. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I agree with Bill. I'd take my D200 and the 18-200, plus the 50mm for low light. It's light and good enough with plenty of focal range.

You're carrying a lot of gear and lugging it all over Europe. Is this a vacation or a photoshoot? Decide which is your priority and act accordingly, then don't fret over which opportunity you missed. You never get everything in life.

6. I would take the D3 + 14-24 and 70-200. I would save weight and walk in between, you will need a flash too.

I am off to greece next week, it will be either D80 + 20 ml + 70-300, or d2h + flash and above lens.

7. We've been traveling over there for years now and every time I think I've got it figured something changes that. Many will say not to take the telephoto, but I don't know. We were traveling on the auto strada in Umbria in Italy and we came up on some wonderful hilltop towns. I'd have killed for my 70-200. So....I just bought a 70-300VR for that very reason. I don't need a fast lens, and the VR will permit me to get the occasional long shot. Since you're cruising the river I assume there are many castles on the shore or cliffs, a light telephoto would sure come in handy.

I was disappointed with the 18-200 in Rome. Scenes with lots of sky had considerable rolloff in the corners. As for the 14-24, I'm leaning away from that, even though I also have a D3 and own the 14-24; it is REALLY heavy. I liked my Sigma 10-20 a lot (and sold it like an idiot). I'm thinking of borrowing it from a friend and seeing what it looks like with the D3.

The 24-70 is a sure thing though. Most of my shots were with the 28-70; that's my bread and butter camera.

8. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    If you do not mind carrying your original load then take them all.

9. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Thanks, everyone

I appreciate it.

10. Muskieman911

Muskieman911

Apr 11, 2008
    nowhere
    Remember about theft. I would take my D300 with 18-200 and 70-300 with a SB800. Thats will do it

11. I'm going on a Mediterranean cruise next wednesday and I plan to take the D3, 14-24 and 24-70. I'm still thinking about the 70-200.
    For the first time, I'm having them all insured for the two week trip.....~$30 for a month.

12. I will never go again without two bodies! My camera crashed on one trip. Maybe a very rare occurrence, but I felt foolish with cardboard cameras.
    The 18/200 was a decent compromise for me, but I really would have liked to have had my 70/200.
    Consider the security. Insurance is a must. My bag was with me every moment, and that can be a pain, albeit a necessary one.

13. Excellent suggestion. When you spend a ton on a holiday it makes sense to have a fall back. I've been bringing two bodies for a couple years now.

14. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Two bodies

are a necessary insurance, in my mind. I will take the D3 and the D300 and all will be insured.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.