camera gear stolen - What to get?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by fyrbolt, May 22, 2007.

1. fyrbolt

fyrbolt

Feb 2, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Arggghhh. Went to a family reunion in Chino Hills, CA. Took lots of pictures and at the end of the day when we were cleaning up, my camera bag was stolen... Lost my D70S, Sigma 17-70, 85 1.8, 28-200G, SB600 and 4 cf cards...

Now that I am starting over, what would you recommend? D200 (new), D2Hs (used for $1750) or going to the other side Canon 30D?

I don't really print larger than 8x12. I sometimes shoot in low light and shoot some sports (cycling, kids baseball and volleyball). I'm really considering the D2Hs but I sometimes crop and the 4MP has me a bit worried. I crop (not too heavily) because I'm still learning how to compose the shots. With the D200, there would be a warranty and the Canon... I don't know too much about it.

Oh, I'm selling my ATV in order to get more camera gear. It's been sitting in my garage for 8 months without being ridden. I figure I could get some money for it and use it on something that I'm enjoying right now.

2. laawaaris

laawaaris Guest

i'm a nikon shooter, but i'd have to say that if i am starting all over ... i'd try canon simply because of the superior performance at higher ISO

3. tracer

tracer Guest

I'm in the same boat and thinking of the same thing.

D200 + 17-55mm + 85mm f/1.4
    or 5D + 28-70 and 135 f/2

:/

I'm picking up stuff this sat. and still haven't decided.

4. sonton2003

sonton2003

Jan 9, 2006
    I love the 5D, I really really do, but the D200 is better suited for my style of shooting so D200 it is.

5. jimc

jimc

Jan 12, 2006
    Tampa, Fl
    Nice family.
    Get a D200, it's a good upgrade.
    Jim

6. fyrbolt

fyrbolt

Feb 2, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Thanks to those that have responded.

I'm not looking at the 5D because i don't want spend over $2k on a body. I still need lenses and stuff.... So as far as canon goes, I was thinking about the 30D

Let me ask another question? Do any D2Hs owners have any issues with moderate cropping and enlarging to 8x10?

I leaning towards the D2Hs becasue it has a faster FPS, it's more rugged, RAW files are easier to process, it has that cool factor (i know, i shouldn't even think of that) and $1750 isn't a bad deal. I figured I could get my money back if it didn't work out for me.

7. The D2Hs is $3000+ new (if you can find it), and at least $2000 used in good condition.

Okay, I would love to know where I could get a used D2Hs for $1750 in good condition and doesn't have 50,000+ shutter actuations.

I would go with the D200, 30D, or D80. That would leave more money for lenses, flash, and memory cards. You can always upgrade the body later.

8. fyrbolt

fyrbolt

Feb 2, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Michael,

I had just bought the Sigma 17-70 from this local shop last week. They had a used D2hs for $2100 that was taken on a trade in. Anyway, the owner of the camera shop knows the owner of the place I work at and I guess he felt sorry for me and gave me a discount. I told him I would also buy other gear from him. As far as lenses, I plan on getting the Tamron 17-50, Nikon 180 2.8 and the 85 1.8. Oh and a SB600. The sale of the quad will cover that and then I'll slowly work on building the lens family. Or at least, that is the plan for now.

So you think skip the D2Hs and get the D200 or 30D? (I didn't like the feel of the D80) A new D200 in not that much less than the used D2Hs though, or at least the one that I found. I guess my concern is if the D2 will give me decent pictures with moderate cropping. I took some pictures with the camera in RAW at the shop and I'll play with it at home but it's nice to hear from experienced people.

9. I probably was too quick with my first suggestion. At first glance it would seem that the jump to the D2Hs from the D70s is a big one. Not so much in terms of MPs, but in going from an amateur body to a pro body DSLR.

I'm probably the wrong person to be asking this question. I haven't made a purchase decision on my first DSLR in 18 months. I want the D2Hs, but not at $3000. I seem to be missing out on these great deals on used D2Hs bodies (like what is being offered you). My response was mostly based on envy. Sorry about that.

D2Hs, D200, 30D. All good choices. Look at what you shoot and what lenses you think you might want, now and down the line.

10. id say go with the D200, its pretty fast at 5fps (do you really need 8fps?) i think the body is just as rugged (magnezium chassis) and i dont think there will be much difference in the RAW processing to make it worth the extra money for a used body. also, if you get the MBD200 grip you will still get the cool factor. I upgraded to a D200 from my D70 and its a whole different world.

11. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I, too, suggest the D200. No contest.

12. cybertec

cybertec Guest

someone to watch your gear, would be a good first choice.

13. fyrbolt

fyrbolt

Feb 2, 2007
    Las Vegas
    funny...:smile:

I now have to buy gear for someone to watch....

The real answer is don't leave your gear unattended or unsecured.... We live and learn. Unfortunately, I sometimes learn the hardway.

also, the D2Hs that I'm looking at has 38,000 actuations (somebody was trigger happy). Is that a lot? Should I be leery of that?

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2007
  14. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I wouldnt worry about it. the shutter is rated at over 100k

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ray,

I'm going to jump in here with my advice, but first I have to say that you have gotten some really good feedback already. I'm just adding my $0.02 worth.

I've owned and shot many images with the D70, D200, D2H, and D2Hs. All were pretty good, and I don't have any specific criticisms for any of these models. Their feature sets were different certainly, but so were their prices. I haven't personally shot with a 30D, but I have friends that have shot with this model as well as several Nikon models, so I know that this is also an excellent camera.

OK, so here is my advice. If I could get a D2Hs for $1,750, I'd jump on it. As someone else mentioned, they usually run $2,100 up. I wouldn't be concerned at all about the number of actuations. My first D2H had 90K + and never gave me a problem (I sold it to a friend, and it is still going strong). WRT cropping, I have never found this to be an issue, with either the D2H or the D2Hs.

My second choice would be close between the D200 and the 30D. Both have their strengths, but I loved the overall feature set of the D200. OTOH, I don't think that the D200 noise performance is as good as the 30D. If you do decide to go with the 30D, as someone else pointed out, you could always upgrade to a more advanced Canon model when your budget allows. Nikon and Canon cameras are both excellent, so you just have to decide which feature set and performance issues are most important to you.

Good luck. Let us know which way you decide to go.

16. fyrbolt

fyrbolt

Feb 2, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Thanks Frank. I've ruled out the 30D. I know it's a great camera and takes better pictures than the D200 at high ISO but noise can be cleaned through software. I'm just more comfortable with Nikon. I'm not bashing Canon. Both have their strengths.

I've taken some pictures with the D2Hs and brought them home so I can play with the files. I took pictures in RAW, JPG, high iso, etc... Now I'll play with them and see if it's something I can live with. I also have some pictures taken with a D200 that I'll do the same thing with. My friend has a D200 and he was kind enought to let me borrow it for a few days.

Decisions, decisions.

Actually, another reason why I want to stay with nikon is because of the support around here. I don't post a whole lot but I read quite a bit here and this forum has a good feel. I've learned a lot in the short while I've been here. I'm sure canon has a similar forum but this has grown on me....

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2007
  17. Another vote for the D200 - nothing beats its skin tones.
    Also, since you said you hardly print larger than 8X12, high ISO noise is not an issue. The D200 produces fairly good ISO 1600 images (provided you don't under-expose and the WB is not too far off). Of course, the high ISO behaviour of the Canon line is better, but not so much better as many (mostly Canonians) want to make us believe.

In this case however, the ruggedness is gone - the MB-D200 is a joke. Whenever I use the camera on a tripod I remove the MB-D200, unless it's mounted via tripod collar of a long lens.

Cheers

18. BTW - it always bugs me when I hear that somebody's equipment was stolen. My equipment was stolen 3 years ago but I got it back after one month - which as very, very exceptional.

Cheers

19. Hi, another county heard from. I've owned the D100, D2H, D2X and D200. I'd go for the D200. In my photography I occasionally rely on enlarging and cropping for composition. For that reason the H models are less useful for me.

The D200 is a superb, easy (well...relatively, compared to a P&S) to use camera with vibrant color. I'd start with the 18-200VR lens.

Good luck with your decision!

Rich

20. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    I jumped from a D70 to the D2Hs. :biggrin: