Camera on mt. Everest base camp?

I have a friend that is hiking to Mt. Everest base camp in May. She has a D2x and I told her I'd ask about any altitude/coldness issues with it. I guess that is one question. The other would be, if it were you - what lenses would you take? I'd be tempted to go with something like the 18 - 200 (which she doesn't have) or the 24-120, which she can buy from me or even borrow. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

J

jaymc

The specs in the user manual say the operating environment is 0 - 40°C (32 - 104°F) and humidity of less than 85% (no condensation)

- Jay

Don't worry about the cold, mine has worked fine in very cold temps. Do make sure to deal with condensation. There are some good threads on this site that talk all about it.

Battery drain has not been an issue for me. However, having two batteries and keeping one in pocket close to your body would be a good idea for the extended period of time the camera would be exposed to the cold.

Rob

Advice from an Arctic Trained fool.
Sleep with her batteries. Keep them warm and happy, they will benefit from just a little TLC and last much longer. Keep her boots inside her sleeping bag, at the bottom, otherwise they'll be solid in the morning. Eat and eat and eat.

Before I forget, and I'm sure Sandy will back me on this one.

Never, repeat never, eat yellow snow. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Bring a backup fully manual film camera...I'm talking Nikon EM...this is a just in case thing...doesn't weigh much or take up any space, but it WILL work w/o batteries.

Before I forget, and I'm sure Sandy will back me on this one.

Never, repeat never, eat yellow snow. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Yup - I'll back you up on that one - learned that from a tender age!

Actually, at base camp, there's not a lot of snow but a lot of rock. Yes, the batteries will be her biggest problem. Best to create a little pouch to actually hang inside her pants, pockets might not be enough because they'll still be exposed to the cold on the outside layer. Nothing worse than hauling your gear all the way there and not having juice for the camera.

if i had the opportunity to go to everest i would want the best glass available. i.e. "the beast", or 17-55, and a 70-200VR.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom