Camera on mt. Everest base camp?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phazer08, Apr 8, 2007.

1. phazer08

phazer08

Aug 9, 2006
    Waco, TX
    I have a friend that is hiking to Mt. Everest base camp in May. She has a D2x and I told her I'd ask about any altitude/coldness issues with it. I guess that is one question. The other would be, if it were you - what lenses would you take? I'd be tempted to go with something like the 18 - 200 (which she doesn't have) or the 24-120, which she can buy from me or even borrow. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

2. jaymc

jaymc Guest

The specs in the user manual say the operating environment is 0 - 40°C (32 - 104°F) and humidity of less than 85% (no condensation)

- Jay

3. Don't worry about the cold, mine has worked fine in very cold temps. Do make sure to deal with condensation. There are some good threads on this site that talk all about it.

4. The cold will be the greater problem (battery drain). At 17,000 ft, Everest base camp is extremely dry.

Sean

5. Battery drain has not been an issue for me. However, having two batteries and keeping one in pocket close to your body would be a good idea for the extended period of time the camera would be exposed to the cold.

6. jaymc

jaymc Guest

Also, don't bring any microdrives - I've still got an old Hitachi 2GB, but haven't used it in a while.

- Jay

7. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Advice from an Arctic Trained fool.
    Sleep with her batteries. Keep them warm and happy, they will benefit from just a little TLC and last much longer. Keep her boots inside her sleeping bag, at the bottom, otherwise they'll be solid in the morning. Eat and eat and eat.

Before I forget, and I'm sure Sandy will back me on this one.

Never, repeat never, eat yellow snow. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

8. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Bring a backup fully manual film camera...I'm talking Nikon EM...this is a just in case thing...doesn't weigh much or take up any space, but it WILL work w/o batteries.

9. Yup - I'll back you up on that one - learned that from a tender age!

Actually, at base camp, there's not a lot of snow but a lot of rock. Yes, the batteries will be her biggest problem. Best to create a little pouch to actually hang inside her pants, pockets might not be enough because they'll still be exposed to the cold on the outside layer. Nothing worse than hauling your gear all the way there and not having juice for the camera.

10. Blair

Blair

Jul 28, 2006
    Oregon
    if i had the opportunity to go to everest i would want the best glass available. i.e. "the beast", or 17-55, and a 70-200VR.

11. phazer08

phazer08

Aug 9, 2006
    Waco, TX
    Wow...thanks everyone for the great advice. The battery drain is something she probably wouldn't have thought about. I will relay all of it on.