Camera RAW and preset white balance

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by DBrim, May 30, 2007.

1. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I'd like to apologize in advance if this has been covered. I did a search but I didn't find anything pertinent to my question.

I recently bit the bullet and purchased photoshop CS3 (I had CS1 before, and ACR didn't work with the D50 on that version). With this done, I knew that I could shoot in RAW, which I have been waiting to do for a long time. However, it does something strange to my IR shots, which are done on an in-camera preset White Balance. When I open the NEF file, it first appears as it should (as shot on the camera and as displayed on its LCD). Then, the exclamation point appears (indicative of processing), I think, and then it changes... something. I think it's the white balance, but I'm not sure. It makes it much more red than it should be, among other things. What's worse is that it considers this white balance "as-shot", so I can't change it back. I've done a workaround recently involving iPhoto, but in the meantime, this is rather frustrating that I don't get the same editing abilities on this photo. Does anybody have any ideas as to why this is?

2. The only software that can properly read the white balance on nikon nef's is Nikon Capture. Nikon has encrypted white balance information. Your best option is to shoot in jpg unfortunately. The good thing is that you can use (at least in Windows version of CS3, not sure about mac version) ACR on jpg files now like Lightroom.

3. I could be wrong but I thought that Adobe was now privy to the Nikon WB info. Have you tried the other preset options in the WB list? What happens if you choose one which is equivalent to what the camera is set to?

4. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I've tried all of the options with no success. I don't notice anything with photos on other white balances, by the way (although there may be minor differences). It's just when I use the preset in-camera white balance.