1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Camera settings

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by atrawick, Sep 10, 2008.

1. atrawick

atrawick Guest

I'm using a D70. Are they any special settings that the camera needs to be set too? all of them are set to default.

2. Allen,
    That depends entirely on what you want to do with the camera.

Do you plan to use the camera in "Auto" mode or will you use one of the program modes (PASM)?

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Not to pick on you Allen, but this type of "what settings" question comes up over and over again, and the answer is always the same - know what you want to achieve as the photographer, and then understand how to use the camera to make it happen

My starting point is usually the depth of field I want - that will determine the aperture. Then I check to see if that selection gives me a handholdable shutter speed. If not, I may reach for my tripod, or increase the ISO until I get a suitable shutter speed. I shoot in A-Priority most of the time, unless I'm using flash, when I usually switch to manual for more control over ambient and flash light.

4. atrawick

atrawick Guest

Normally i shoot in A or S mode. I am more concerned on the optimized image settings and should they be set to default which is 0.

5. Shoot M, Shutter 1/10th f/22 ISO 1600. I get my best results!

Seriously, you really need to do your own research. Because we can't tell you how you want to shoot, you have to discover it yourself. When I shoot, my camera is all over the place versus my co-workers, and I think their settings are off the wall. It's all a matter of preference.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.