Camera shake on Tripod

B

Brew

I'm a little disappointed with my tripod when using a bigma and 2x teleconverter. I set timer to 10 seconds and watch the view finder and when the shutter snaps the camera shakes a bit. I have the Gitzo 1228 with Acratech ball head. Am I asking too much of this setup to shoot 1000mm??

I sharpened this a lot and croped a bit but it is just not sharp and some of the others you can see the double image because of shake.

47799161.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

N

nfoto

You are asking too much from a relatively flimsy tripod and a not very large ballhead, yes. 1000 mm is a very long focal length and gives lots of trouble even for better specified setups than yours.

I use the same lens and TC combo. My best setup with the D70 was with a surveyors tripod. Even with this I had to try and keep the shutter out of the danger zone. Here is a picture of my setup. If you are interested in the adapter parts I can post links.

12152426-M.jpg

I haven't used this setup since getting a D2x which has MLU (Mirror Lock Up).

B

Brew

So I guess I am asking too much!! I don't think I want to invest too much money to shoot the moon. Maybe I'll try the mirror lock up (never tried it on the D70 but I think it has it) and not extend the legs on the tripod and just lay on the ground to get it lined up and focused.

The D70 does not support mirror lock-up for firing. The mirror lock up option in the LCD menu is for 'cleaning', not firing.

I figured your tripod and ballhead has enough support capacity as the Sigma is relatively light at 4.1 lbs. Honestly, I think it is the lack of mirror lock up that is hurting it.

N

nfoto

ckdamascus said:
I figured your tripod and ballhead has enough support capacity as the Sigma is relatively light at 4.1 lbs. Honestly, I think it is the lack of mirror lock up that is hurting it.

A lightweight, long focal length lens is about the worst combination you can have. It has very little internal dampening by mass. Also, never touch the camera, use a remote control or cable release. For the D70 the ML-L3 is mandatory.

It can be done even on the D70. Below you see a shot of the moon and Jupiter. The inset is a 100% of Jupiter. You can see four of its moons. I was able to confirm that those are in fact actual moons-of-Jupiter. I had no idea I had captured them until later..

This was with the 70-200 and the TC20. I used a remote and an old aluminum Bogen tripod. As I recall I laid a few bags of lead shot across the lens around where the tripod mount ring is.

Granted, yours was at 1000mm. This shot was 1/160 at f5.6, ISO 200.

moon-and-planet.jpg

B

Brew

Wow thanks to everyone for the help. I'll have to try and weight it down a little to see if I can improve it a little.

That is encouraging news - I have not tried the "Moon" shot yet with my D70s. Maybe next clear evening I will give it try and see what happens.

BTW-Pretty nice shot of the moon and Jupiter.

Friend of mine has a telescope - I thought about getting attachment to hook up camera and try that too. Just not too sure how they come out as the telescope is pretty sensitive.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Bruce, one thing I have been doing on on long slow exposure shots to avoid mirror slap is to use the remote on my d70, cover the lens front with a hat to keep light out, fire the remote, count 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, remove hat while counting, and on a second or two before the shutter will close on your longer exposure, place the hat over the front of the lens opening again, before the shutter fires. A cheap mirror lockup system for the D70.

You can have fun trying to figure out the best exposure length of time, and it avoids the mirror slap problem on your image.

Cheers,

Wade

Real Name
Chris
Wade, whenever I put my camera on the Meade 2670mm f/15 Maksutov, that is exactly how I do it, except I use a piece of black cardboard, cause a baseball cap doesn't cover the front element. It works like a charm, until I try shorter exposures.

B

Brew

Commodorefirst said:
Bruce, one thing I have been doing on on long slow exposure shots to avoid mirror slap is to use the remote on my d70, cover the lens front with a hat to keep light out, fire the remote, count 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, remove hat while counting, and on a second or two before the shutter will close on your longer exposure, place the hat over the front of the lens opening again, before the shutter fires. A cheap mirror lockup system for the D70.

You can have fun trying to figure out the best exposure length of time, and it avoids the mirror slap problem on your image.

Cheers,

Wade

I never would have thought of that, I'll have to give it a try!!!!!!!!! :idea:

Commodorefirst said:

Cheers,

Wade

Cool suggestion ! Never thought of it, and it's clever !

Latest threads

Top Bottom