Camera strap question...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Scott Sherman, Apr 17, 2005.

1. I was just reading a review of the D2x online through a link on the Galbraith website. The reviewer made a comment that got me thinking. He said that he never used the camera neck strap. He always holds the camera when he is shooting and presumably although he did not say it, he probably transports it in a bag of some kind until it is ready for use.

I always just automatically put the strap on the camera but have always felt that it was a bit of a nusiance. It makes it harder to put in and take out of the bag. It is always getting in the way when I mount the camera especially in panoramic shots. I don't like to carry the camera around my neck when it has a long lens because of the pressure it puts on the mount and for shorter lenses, I usually have it in a bag until I am going to use it or it is not that heavy and could easily be carried without the strap.

One other down side of the Nikon strap is that the bright yellow Nikon D2x says steal me as loud as it can if it were ever lying for a moment while you say got a drink of water or were downloading files into a wallet or something. The camera is still an obvious target but the loud yellow letters really stick out and I don't necessarily care for the advertising. In fact I like the look of the camera better without the strap. Very few studio photographers cameras have straps on them now that I think about it.

I am going to take my strap off and see how it goes. It may take some getting used to since it is almost instinctive to pick it up by the strap now. What I might do is go to the local mountain climbing store like REI or someplace that sells small carabiners or clips that will make it easy to just clip the strap on when it might be of some use and then I can easily remove it for storage and tripod mounting etc.

I was just wondering if any of you had any thoughts or experience in this regard. discussion welcome and appreciated.

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I use a Pelican QR Strap (link)

It's contoured to fit more comfortably around your neck, and has QR clips when don't don't want to use it. Have em on all my cams.
    http://www.warehousephoto.com/amazing/itemdesc.asp?CartId={34709BAA-7270-4ABE-BCD5-7075EVERESTEF24386E}&ic=6034&eq=&Tp=

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

You can get gaffers tape to mask Nikon on camera, lens cap, and Nikon bag .

Going Incognito

Birger

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Ditto Pauls strap, same color even! :eek:

7. Thanks, I have one more question if it is not too much of a nuisance. Actually two;

The neoprene looks a bit bulky to pack in a bag which is already somewhat stessed by all that I pack. Is the pro strap compact enough to fold away into a space not much bigger than the original or is it spongy and springy when you compact it down? If that makes any sense.

Do you use the little clips or the permanently attached ones that just hang like pigtails and then clip to the main strap. I think I would not like to leave anything dangling from the camera.

Here is a link to a Nikon hand strap that looks interesting if it works with the D2x. anyone know anything about this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...amp;A=details&Q=&sku=37060&is=REG

Thanks. This is very helpfull as I think there is room for improvement over the one Nikon sends.

8. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    The one I have lets you carry your camera off your shoulder instead around the neck. The pad is a non-slip grip. Some of you should remember the discussion about them at DRP last year. They work great and I believe the standard warning that young lady photographers should never wear a loose fitting T-shirt when using this strap. The strap would suck it right off the bod.

http://www.upstrap.com/

9. Larry,

Thanks for contributing. I didn't see how that connects to the body. Is it quick release?

10. If anyone's shooting in dodgy neighbourhoods or places where you get drive past scooter crime, a tip is to get hold of a dog chain, get it covered in padding and material and put clips on the end to use as a camera strap.

This was actually a recommendation given to me by friends who'd been to Panama City - it basically stops someone trying to run of with your camera because they can't cut through the straps :shock:

11. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    No quick release. Regular strap, unmarked, and a tad longer than usual. It threads the eyelets just like the Nikon strap.

12. Hey Scott,

I have the UpStrap on all my cameras. It's thin, light and it won't move in a hurricane. I mainly use it when walking around. When I'm shooting I tend to wrap the strap around my shooting hand (it becomes second nature after a while). I also do this when walking around with the camera in my hand.

It also doesn't say STEAL ME!, ur "Nikon D2X" on it.

http://www.upstrap.com/

_/oe

13. The Upstrap seems like a great idea for a camera bag, more so than for the camera from what I have seen. I am sort of liking the Optech for the camera body and have read many good reviews here and at DPR. I think the only down side that I see is that you still have to leave a part of the Optech strap attached to the camera and i was actially trying to get away from that. I have googled until I have blisters on my fingers and have not really found anything better. I don't want to put metal hooks on the body rings, i hear that does bad stuff to the body.

I will wait a day or two before ordering in case someone reads this and has a better idea. Thanks to all who contributed.

14. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Joe - How does the UpStrap handle GoreTex and similar really slippery fabrics?

Thanks,
    Gordon

15. Hi Gordon,

I took it up to Alaska last year and it worked without issue. Other than that, I don't have a whole lot of experience with it under a lot of clothing (or bare shoulder for that matter).

One thing I did notice is that after about a year of rigourous use the little nobs on the strap head are beginning to fall off. All I did was turn the strap head over and it's like new but it is a concern.

_/oe

16. I just ordered the OpTech Pro today and should have it by Wed. Thanks for the tip.

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I think that I'm about to follow suit.

Thanks guys.

Frank

18. Dougie,

That is a wonderful idea, however does it add a lot more weight to the camera? I guess if a person purchased a thin chain. But, then again, I am not a strong person so they would end up with the camera anyway just by snagging it from me.