Camera Straps.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oldfireguy, Oct 2, 2008.

1. I'm looking for something that does not go around the neck. I know they have binocular straps that do that but unsure if they work with a camera. Anyone using one or have one they would recommend?

2. heydale

heydale

Oct 5, 2007
    Maine
    not exactly sure about what you mean..... a harness of the binocular type? I Think op-tech has one.
    I also have an optech body strap that's used in combination with a neck strap to keep the camera tight against your chest while hiking climbing.
    If you can find an old Nikon Vestrap vest, it has quick release straps that support the camera from the shoulder, not the neck.

Finally, I use a shoulder strap, the "upstrap" and will not use a neckstrap again.

dale

3. Dale thanks for the one response. I looked at the "upstraps" and ordered a couple of them. They look like what I'm looking for.

4. You might want to check out blackrapid's R-Strap, if you are looking for a shoulder strap. I love mine.

5. I use a number of different camera straps from the very fancy Lowepro contoured straps (which are on two of my motorized SLRs as well as on my Tenba 995 shoulder bag) to a couple of customized Mickey Mouse motif cloth straps from Disney World. However, there is one thing they all have in common: The underside of each strap as a strip of the "hook" Velcro sewn to it, as well as a strip of the "eye" Velcro sewn to the upper side. Additionally, the shoulders of my vest have strips of "eye" Velcro sewn to them. The result of all this Velcro and sewing is that my shoulder bags and cameras hang off my shoulders for hours at a time and nothing, ever slips off, regardless of its weight.

6. exitnine

exitnine

Jun 5, 2008
    Boston, MA
    just wondering does anyone never use the camera strap? i almost give it up with it, sometime i need it, sometimes it really on my way...

7. I usually use the following two items:

1. The Op/Tech reporter / backpack strap:
    http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=48&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=11
    It's item #10. I attach this to whatever backpack I am using at the time.
    2. A homemade waist strap which connects to my ThinkTank Digital Holster 10:
    http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_DgtlHlstr.php
    This keeps the camera from bouncing around, and even allows me to do a bit of scrambling if needed.

When I do not have the backpack on, I will take the waist strap and connect it to the attachments on the holster, and it acts like a shoulder sling.

8. I made this "wrist" strap last week from an old Minolta neck strapand I couldn't be happier using it. My camera is still tethered so I can't drop it, but it's not a neck strap that's getting in my way the whole time. I never really walk around with the camera around my neck or on my shoulder. If I'm not shooting, it goes back in my bag as I hike or walk around.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. There is a dealer a few miles away that carries blackrapid's R-Strap. I'll check them out also. Thanks for the replies.

10. heydale

heydale

Oct 5, 2007
    Maine
    Up-straps

are almost qualified as a "cult" product.
    I have had mine for 3 years and have no reason to try anything else.
    I follow 3 forums regularly and the upstrap users seem to all feel the same way.
    They just work, nothing elegant, not bulky like the foamy stuff and NOT around your neck so no more pain. They fit easily into any bag. Once you spend a few days with one, you just don't think about it. I use mine on a D200 with and without a battery pack. Usually with a 35-70 2.8 and frequently with an 80-200 2.8. When I am "with camera" the camera is always on one shoulder and a messenger bag with a bunch of lenses on the other. I climb over rocks and fences all of the time.
    Works for me!

I am sure you will be happy with them. Hey, if Steve McCurry and Jay Meisel are happy with them no reason for me to complain!
    HAve some fun today!
    dale

dale

11. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    i took a look at thier site, sooms interesting, could someone please help me out thou, i do agree the camea gets heavy (esspecialyl with long lenses on it) and i have been lookign for somthing but this just seems to be a rubber shoulder pad adn then you have to buy the straps clips and everything else?

12. Got two upstraps....my D3 and D60...great cam straps, no slipping-shoulder either sides:biggrin:

13. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. heydale

heydale

Oct 5, 2007
    Maine
    you have to choose:)

With the upstrap, I keep it simple, the classic SLR strap just connects to the loops.
    If you like you can get the Quick release version and extra short pieces for additional bodies. This can also be helpful if you just want to remove the strap for any reason like entanglement.
    he also has a high security version that is cut resistant.
    the pieces are "accessories" that may come in handy.
    dale

have fun!

15. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    I prefer a wrist strap most of the time. I have the Nikon AH-4 on both my D2Xs and D3. It is not cheap ($60) but it is the only wrist strap I have found that is adequate for the pro bodies and is comfortable and secure for all-day use (supple leather, snugs up nicely on the hand/wrist).

When I do use a strap, UpStrap is my favorite. But I don't like the dangly bits that remain on the camera when you disconnect the strap, so I devised a way to disconnect the strap completely. Here's a thread where I go into detail:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=23380116

-- Russ