Camera swap??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by InFocusFoto, Aug 11, 2008.

1. InFocusFoto

InFocusFoto

Aug 1, 2008
    Idaho
    I currently have a D300 w/grip, I have the opportunity to swap straight across for a mint D2xs, I am pretty happy with the D300 but I really like the feel of the pro body, I think the only thing I would miss is the rear lcd, I don't do alot of low light shooting, I shoot mainly action sports, they both have the ability to shoot at 8fps second, the 300 at 12mp and the D2xs at 6.8 mp

I can't make up my mind.... any other pros and cons that I am missing?

2. Well, if the choice is between a D2Xs and a D300, I would be really happy with the D2Xs. I have both the D300 w/ grip and a D2X and prefer the D2X for it's view finder. So, when it's a choice between the two as to what to use, I most times reach for the D2X. [Just remembered: D2Xs has high speed crop, whereas the D300 does not]

3. InFocusFoto

InFocusFoto

Aug 1, 2008
    Idaho
    any other opinions?

4. You know, I can't really make up my mind with the D300 vs. the D2X. The D300 certainly does better with higher ISO, but the D2X handles telephoto lenses a lot better in my opinion and with a faster AF lock-on. In fact, I find my D2X handles my 200mm f/2 better than my D300 or D3! Really weird. :smile:

5. I would look at the D2Xs (which I have) and see how many clicks it has, if under 40K you will have a lot of use still in the camera. The Hi-speed crop is real nice and at 7 fps really make the Xs hum. However you will lose that Hi ISO of the D300, if the Hi ISO is not a concern, and the Xs is in good to excellent conditions, I would give it a second thought for sure. Both are DX bodies, and both have there uniqueness. Mine has a 300 f2.8 on it, as I am gearing up for football season. I shoot a D3 with 70-200f2.8 VR and the D2Xs. The D2Xs is a great complement to the D3. I guess the big question is, what shape the D2Xs is in. See if the owner will let you shoot it for a weekend to see if it will meet your needs. IMHO
    Good luck with the decision. If you trade and find out it not what you wanted you could sell it and put the funds towards a D700!

6. InFocusFoto

InFocusFoto

Aug 1, 2008
    Idaho
    well I made the trade, the D2xs that I traded for is like brand new, about 7000 clicks on it, I absolutely love everything about the D2xs, size ( smaller than the D300 w grip), weight ( lighter than the D300 with grip full of AA batteries), speed ( I really like the high speed crop), focus seems faster.. I really love the feel of the pro body!

2 things I will miss is the high ISO and the rear lcd of the D300, I guess I am going to have to save ALOT of pennies for a D3, I hope the D3x comes out soon, maybe the D3 prices will come down a little.

7. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Glad you're happy with your decision. How us some photos from your new body when you are ready.