Camera upgrade - D80 or D200?

I'm looking into upgrading my D40 in the next week. I've been going back and forth between the D80 and the D200. I've found the D200 body new for what I've found a D80 with a kit lens. I don't want to buy the D80 and then regret it a year down the line when I get more serious, but I don't also want to buy more camera than I need. Any input is greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks,
Mylene

What are you shooting? That could help make your decision.

I went with a D80 last year and have not regretted it.

I mostly shoot:

- My dog
- Dog events
- Off-road 4x4 events
- Off-roading

I haven't really found a certain thing I photograph the most - my husband and I are very outdoorsy people and I take my camera wherever we go.

I shoot motorsports and use my d80 as my recreational camera. The only problem I run into is FPS with my D80 sometimes. Other then that its everything I need.

I am sure others will chime in - but I have a D50 as a backup its features are similar to the 40 and I prefer the 80 ( it has a function button I setup and the second wheel for aperture adjustment in manual mode).

I have always found patience to be the best thing in these situations. We know that a D90 is going to be announced imminently, however you may not be able to wait a month or two before its released, yet it may be the best value for your money. The D200 is a very capable camera as is the D80, but the D90 likely falls right in the middle and will have the latest technology, a better value for your money. You can certainly pick up used D200 bodies for just under $700 which is a great value, only you can determine what best fits your needs.

AM

If waiting just a little longer for the (still hypothetical) D90 isn't a good option, between those two, I opt for the 200. It'll be slightly heavier, but with the available battery grip (and without) the frame rate will be higher. If memory serves, they have the same sensor and tech, but the 200 will be better weather sealed, and is a sturdier body all-round (metal frame as opposed to plastic). The D80 is a great camera, though.

Speculation suggests the D90 will offer quite a chunk of what the D300 now offers for under a grand. If like the D80, there will also be a battery grip available that will increase frame rate and give you more shooting time. You'll likely get FAR better high ISO capabilities, as the 200/80 aren't very good above 640 - in fact in most cases they're down right bad. If that's a consideration, weigh it out carefully.

If you find yourself shooting in solid daylight conditions, and want a really good deal, the D200 still sticks out - just know it's limitations (noisy above ISO640).

I want so badly to wait for the hypothetical D90 but I would hate to wait another couple of months and then it doesn't even get released...it was just a rumor! I'm leaning heavily towards the D200 now.

My budget's about 1K - I've found a new D200 body for that much as well as a new D80 with the 18-135mm f/3.5 for the same price. As silly as it may sound, if I get the D80, I'm going to sell my D40. If I get the D200, I think I'm going to keep the D40.

With a budget of around a grand, if you could bump that $2-300 you could pick up a used D300. I have been seeing them selling for $12-1400. I would think that for the extra couple hundred you would be getting considerably more camera.

Just my $.02

Morgan

With a budget of around a grand, if you could bump that $2-300 you could pick up a used D300. I have been seeing them selling for $12-1400. I would think that for the extra couple hundred you would be getting considerably more camera.

Just my $.02

Morgan

Excellent advice!!!

Given the advice you guys have given me and the fact that I honestly have not even come close to mastering the D40, I'm going to keep it and think about an upgrade later in the future. I'll put aside that money that's burning a hole in my pocket and save for the D300. :)

G

gladjo

I agree with this, I have no realistic intention of upgrading my D50 just yet

Yeah, I got a long way to go. I shouldn't even be thinking about upgrading. Even though there's a couple good deals on D200s on the 4 sale board. :mad:

Latest threads

Top Bottom