Cameras and Concerts - a Major Annoyance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retief, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Nancy and I went to the Clay Aiken concert in Seatlle last night. No, I am not the Big Clay Aiken fan in the family, but the concert, for the most part, was quite good, I'd recommend it to anyone :smile: . Nice story, mostly good music, not a regret.

Now, on to the annoyance. Clay allows folks to take photos, which is quite nice, at the show but asks that flash not be used. Either turn it off, or the ushers actually carry electrical tape around to cover the flash. A nice gesture for the crowd, and I commend them for it. However, I think that every jerk that did not bother to pay attention should have just been summarily booted out of the auditorium, quite obnoxious. But what was even more annoying to me were all of the lit-up LCD's that I was seeing as I was looking toward the stage. Not only P&S cameras, but the gazillion cell phones with cameras in the audience as well. Evidently many people think that it is much more important to get a low-res image of a celebrity on stage than it is to be concerned with how this may annoy those around them. Luckily for us, and for the people immediately around us, I didn't see anyone doing these things within 3 rows, or shouting distance, of me.

Now, while there is an element of silliness in this, I find this situation becoming more serious as cameras and cell phone cameras become more ubiquitous. For those of you who take yours everywhere, please do those of us who go to concerts to actually watch and listen a favor. Don't wave your lit-up LCD's in our faces.

Two other things that I found quite humorous in all of this. The folks who had taped the flashes, I wonder how many of those work TTL, and so totally screw up the exposure when the flash hits the tape, as well as heating up the flash tube? And then, the folks who were obviously watching the concert using digital zoom on their camera phones. Guess the phones cost so much they can't afford a pair of cheap binoculars........

Boy, if I was King of the Universe things would sure be different :wink:

(crawling back into my hole in the corner now)......

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I've seen the same thing, with camera LCD's lit up all over the place. Usually they're holding the camera up over their heads to get a better shot/view so it's right in your line of site.

What makes this particularly sad (or funny), is that these people are shooting Point-n-Shoots and have approximately .0001% chance of getting a decent shot that isn't just a big blob of camera shake and subject movement.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. This is a great point. While I will do that during a side-line huddle or celebration at a football game, I am happy if I get 10% of those that are even recognizable, and I actually have half-a-clue as to what I am doing :wink: :wink:

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great story Bill...as I read your accounts of what had occurred at the concert, I could truly understand your frustration. As other have mentioned, no one with a cheap point and shoot or cameraphone is going to bring home an appreciable image either. I guess when venues have rules about unauthorized photography...there's something good behind the restrictions...a better view of the stage!!!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well its about time you showed up.

AWOL you have been :>))

Good to see you back and bitchin ....lololol
    That means your fine and doing well :>))

Glad to hear from you.

Now how about some pics of that concert from your cell phone.

8. I don't think that is the reason, but it sure makes sense. I really did not think too much of this when they made the announcement re: "No Flash", but it was amazing how distracting it was. The closest one to us was about 3 rows down, and this person was WATCHING THE CONCERT on the phone, how absurd. Holding the camera up, digital zoom and all. This is worse than sitting behind a cowboy hat or "big hair" :biggrin: :rolleyes: :wink:

9. I tried to figure out what to snip from this quote, but it is so wel said, I thought it needed saying again :eek:

As to AWOL, blame it on business, and Jack is becoming a very dull boy...shame on me....

As to the "back and bitchin"...darned tootin', the epitome of The Great American Male, and I'll be danged if I need anything important to ***** about, dang-it....

As to the "camera and cell phone", I am about to upgrade my phone next month, and I am quite annoyed that it is almost impossible to find a decent phone that DOESN'T HAVE A CAMERA!!!!! I am, of course, a TL (Technologial Luddite) and I believe that Convergence has GONE TOO FAR!!! Golly, don't you love it when I shout???? :wink:

The serious part is just how darned distracting I found this. It would have been much worse if it was somebody I really wanted to see.......

10. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    The folks that crack me up are the ones shooting flash on a P&S from 250 rows back and then wondering why only the backs of heads of the two rows in front of them are lit. :biggrin:

"I don't understand, I used a flash..." :confused:

11. Yup, best part is they blame the camera, or their phone. I'm sure that the Cellular Carriers get lot's of customer complaints :biggrin:

The opposite of this is when I shoot a night football game with crummy lighting and get red-eye from my SB-800 with a 300mm lens from fans in the stands on the other side of the field. I love the "will your flash really work that far away" questions and the look on their faces when I show them the results.........

12. marc

marc Guest

just curious, what settings are you using to use a flash , that will give you good results from that far away?

you did say the other side of field?

iso, aperture etc

13. Paraphrasing the old Billy Jack quote.......

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,The courage to change the things I cannot accept, And the wisdom to know the difference."

Good luck influencing the concert goers guys. I'm as serene as my wife can stand.:biggrin:

Intensely more annoying to me was the concert rule recently....

"No pro-use rigs or long lenses" at Austin City Limits!
    What the hay does that mean? Huh? What's a "pro"...how long is long????????

I carried in my D2X...nosiree, I'm no pro....and....MF105mmf2.5 + TC + HSC = PST (pretty stealthy telephoto).

Of course all the digicams and phones were fine! I got questioned by several pros and annoyed amateurs(one with drebel was disallowed at the gate) regarding "how didja get THAT in????".

Silly silly rule-makers.

OF COURSE.....digicams are fine ????

But then.....Que serait le monde sans les filles?