1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cameras in ATT Park?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by jfriend, Aug 22, 2008.

1. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I'm going to a SF Giant's baseball game this Saturday and was thinking about bringing my D300 and 200-400, but I can't seem to find the stadium's policy on these kinds of things. I did find one blog that suggested that ATT Park and the Giants are very permissive (let you bring in any sort of camera gear as long as you aren't intruding on other guests), but I can't find anything official on the topic.

Does anybody know how to find out what their official policy is? I'd like to print it out and bring it in case a gate attendant isn't aware of the official rules.

2. their official policy should be buried somewhere on their website...JFYI, this recent post was taken in 'PacBell', aka ATT park, right? It's a big lens (Sigma 50-500) so I gotta think your 200-400 would fly, just no monopods...

3. RGB Bob

RGB Bob Guest

4. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks. That's what I couldn't find. Cool. My 200-400 should be OK.

I'm still wondering about a monopod because that can be really handy from your seat. The official policy doesn't explicitly exclude monopods, but some people seem to think they aren't allowed. I wish there was a way to know for sure ahead of time.

5. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    I have brought my gear into Miller Park under the pretense that I can 'only shoot friends and whatnot; not the actual game action', but have been left alone, and it never has been enforced.
    In fact, I was told by an usher that I can even do it from the aisle, so long as I do not do so between innings.

I'd give it a shot. You'll never truly know unless you do, right?

6. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I'm going to give it a try tomorrow (probably with the monopod). I would like to be right though because a trudge back to the parking lot with equipment they won't let me in with is a bit of a hike.

7. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Nix the Monpod. If AT&T is anything like any other sporting event, they will nto allow you to bring in something which they believe can be used as a weapon.

Don't bring it.

8. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    ATT park is apparently not like most other venues as they have the most permissive written policy I've ever seen. I'm hopeful. It probably just depends upon the gate agent that I get.

9. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    Print the policy and bring it with you. At Dodger Stadium, monopods and tripods are explicitly forbidden. Since the SF Giants policy does not mention it, you should be ok, but if they tell you it's not, at least you'll have the policy to show them. It would suck if you have to go all the way back to your car with the monopod...

10. RGB Bob

RGB Bob Guest

I shoot at Fenway Park all the time. I've never actually seen anyone with a Monopod but I've been bringing 2 cameras and long lenses in for years. As long as the backpack I bring meets their guidelines they never even check it.

11. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    Also remember that your camera bag cannot (per SF Giants website) cannot exceed 16"x16"x8".

12. Oh, ATT park is a nice one. Be sure to enjoy the experience as well as bringing us some great photos... I have only been once and it was a blast, though somewhat of a nightmare (lots of RAIN!)...

13. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I had no problem bringing in my D300 and 200-400. At the last minute I decided not to try to bring the monopod just to avoid any potential hassle. In the end, I didn't spend a lot of time shooting as the game was more social (chatting with some other folks I hadn't seen in awhile) than I expected, but the little shooting I did was fun.

The Giant's pitcher was Barry Zito and he actually pitched well, going eight innings and giving up three runs. The Giants won 4-3 over the Padres, scoring the winning run in the bottom of the eighth.

The lighting was harsh (mid-day game) so the contrast between white uniforms and faces in the shadows was tough. Nothing particularly special because I spent more time socializing than shooting, but here are a few from the first pass through the shots:

#1:
    357646211_cZy9e-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2:
    357645756_T822b-L.jpg

#3:
    357642483_Eb7V9-L.jpg

#4:
    357644712_ujQiC-L.jpg

#5:
    357648065_GbqzS-L.jpg

#6:
    357647455_fLb8a-L.jpg

#7:
    357642767_qrYXw-L.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.