Cameras in the Louvre Museum?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter G, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Are the use of cameras allowed in the Louvre? Tried looking on the museum's website and couldn't find anything.

Leaving for Europe today and will be in Paris next week. Thanks in advance for help.

2. If you are not allowed to use a tripod or monopod, try this trick.

They sell a small attachment that screws into the camera baseplate, attach strong nylon cord (with loop at the opposite end) that is long enough to reach from eye level to the floor. Trap the loop between your foot and the floor, then pull upwards to make the line taught. You'd be surprised how low a shutter speed you can achieve.

Regards,

Paul.

3. Or use VRII :tongue:

4. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    I was there last October.

I believe you cannot use a camera in most major display halls like the one where the Mona Lisa is displayed. If they see you using any kind of gadget to take photographs, you will be asked to stop. I couldn't even place the camera on a window ledge to take a snap. However, the intrepretation of the rules are subjective and you might get lucky if they decide to overlook your efforts.

I agree that the newer VR lenses would be a good option for the louvre.

Paris has such a lot of photographic opportunities that the restrictions in the Louvre IMO are not worth testing.

Hope this helps. Have a good trip.

5. Thanks JayR! Good to see you back online.