Cameras that set off store detectors

What is it in our cameras that sets off the dang electronic defectors in stores? When the cost of replacement gets this high I just carry the camera bag in with me. But today might have been the last straw. I tried to go into a Cabellas and the alarms went off like Fort Knox. So a trio of highly trained professionals :rolleyes: started off with Whoa..what do you have there?
Camera..
I don't think so.. do you have a firearm?
No just camera.
We will have to search your bag.
Fine I will leave it here while I shop.
Whoa..this is the biggest camera I have ever seen
Yea its worth more than my car so I don't leave it outside.
uhhh yea we wont take responsibility for that you cant leave it here. :mad:
And so it goes. So just what is it that sets these friggen things off?? And no its not metal.
Gary

The detectors work with either an RFID chip or a magnetic tag, depending on the store. It is pretty unlikely that any article other than a theft protection tag will set them off, so my suggestion would be to check your gear and clothing for any left over tags that may still be on- or in there and haven't been deactivated properly. Especially the RFID tags can be small and well hidden. The magnetic tags are sometimes attached on the inside of pockets and can be accidentally re-activated under the right circumstances when they come in contact with magnets.

If you can rule this out, the next suspect is anything magnetic or easily magnetise-able. That would be actual magnets or little parts made out of iron.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The bag..the friggen bag :actions1::actions1:
I will tear that sucker apart today.
Thanks
Gary

LOL!! LOTS of coats (in particular) have a sewn in security tag that, if you know to look for it, have instructions (and even a dotted line) to cut out. That tag will set off detectors until it's removed. If you have a high end camera bag it's possible there is something similar in it causing the problem. Next time you set off the alarm somewhere take everything through the scanner individually to narrow down the culprit.

Yeah you probably have one of those tags in the camera bag. My wife had a Coach purse that did the same thing until we finally found the little tag inside. They just did not swipe it over the deactivator good enough when it was purchased.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I found one of those tags already tore off and just sitting in the bottom of the bag :confused: I would never just tear one off and throw it in the bag, I am afraid someone is having quite the laugh right now.
I have looked it over very close and cant find anything else. So Tomorrow will be test day :biggrin:
Gary

Well I found one of those tags already tore off and just sitting in the bottom of the bag :confused: I would never just tear one off and throw it in the bag, I am afraid someone is having quite the laugh right now.
I have looked it over very close and cant find anything else. So Tomorrow will be test day :biggrin:
Gary
I'm having quite the laugh right now! That is quite the practical joke, you have to admit! :biggrin: Glad you got it figured out, though...

I had something similar last week.I spend 24 hours in Hospital for some minor surgery.
The day after i came home i went shopping.Make one step in a shop and.... BLEEEEEERRP!
Had no bags on me,so i get a okay from the staff to enter. Going out with bag,and...BLEEERP!. Knowing i had nothing on me they let me go_On my way out i walk pass a few gates.BLEEEEEEERP!..Okay??? What the $%^ is going on??? Do i have any electronic stuff left in my body???.In the bus i want to check in (we do that electronic).Card not working!!!.Hmmmmmm....That must be one bug they forgot..
That evening..making ready for the night. Pull out my T shirt and find a shoplift chip on the inside seams of the shirt...The not working bus fare ??? Forgot to charge it (have to that once a month)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom