Cameta and Nikon factory demo's

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by BostonRott, Apr 8, 2007.

1. How have people found Cameta's factoy demo's to be? They are offered with a 1yr warrenty.....is this through Nikon or through Cameta?

I'm interested in a D50, they list many on Ebay.

2. Caution. Their wording is very tricky. They always imply Nikon/Factory warranty but if you read the fine print it is typically store warranty. Also, on eBay I have always sensed that they use paid schills (sp?) to bump the auction prices. Many of their early stage in the auction (up to 24 hours before) bidders conduct a high percentage of their bids with Cameta. You are probably much safer to either buy a D50 from another Nikon Cafe member or from an eBay seller with a solid Seller history. BuyDig, B&H, and Beach Camera are also very competitive with their pricing and all are Nikon factory-authorized sellers.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2007
  3. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    The cameras from Cameta come with a standard refurb Nikon 90 day warranty and Cameta extends this in-store for one year.

I've purchased a couple of lenses and one body from them and have been quite pleased so far.

4. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd

Feb 8, 2007
    Arizona
    I have a D50 on route now from them. Should be here by Thurs.:biggrin:

I didn't play the auction game. I just waited for a buy it now price that I felt was the most reasonable and bought it. I have been watching their stuff for a couple of weeks and the auction ones seemed to go for more a lot of the times. :confused:

Hopefully, It will come as stated and I will be out taking pics by next weekend!!!:wink:

Good luck!

Shannon

5. Funny you say that, I've often wondered that about some of their auctions, back when I was looking for a D200.

Thank you!

Shannon,

Thank you! I'll see if I can find a buy it now price. Good luck with your new camera! :smile:

6. I bought my D2H from them. I bought my SB800 from them as well. I have dealt with them for several years now and have never had any problems at all.

7. itsmeamanda

itsmeamanda Guest

I just bought a D50 from them and recieved it on Friday. I hope that the warranty is a good one. I've used the camera since Friday and have been really pleased with it. The body is clean with no scratches or any superficial damage.

ETA: I bought mine through Buy It Now. It was $429 plus shipping and included a 1GB card. I thought it was a good deal.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Gretchen,
    I actually called Nikon to check them out once, as to the "Factory demo". The guy at Nikon said yes they were one of the true resellers for demos from
    Nikon. I have not bought anything from them, but it is good info to know.

9. I purchased a 24-120VR and 180mm 2.8 lens from them about three years ago. The lenses arrived in good condition. Both were factory refurbs with 90 day Nikon warranties. I purchased both lenses through 'Buy It Now'. I have never had any issues with Cameta, but it is best to read the fine print with respect to defect merchandise when bidding on lenses at eBay. I purchased a 17-35mm 2.8 in 'New' condition a few weeks ago through 'Buy It Now'. It squeaked!! I sent it back to the camera store and they shipped it to Nikon for repair at their expense.

10. I purchased a refurbished N65 film camera that also came with a new "AA" battery holder from Cameta on ebay all for the princely sum of $79.00 US. The camera had been refurbished by Nikon, and looked brand new. I got it in November, and while it's not seen hard use, it continues to work just fine. I've no complaints with Cameta, and would deal with them again.

11. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    My buying experience with them was fine, but when the D200 was released, I recall there were many folks on their waiting list who were quite miffed that they were told to wait while Cameta put much of their D200 stock on EBay, which of course made them much more money than selling them for list.
    They do seem to be a clearing house for Nikon, which I'm told is right up the street.

12. I bought an F6 Factory Demo from them by calling their store after I spotted the camera on e-bay. It came with the Nikon 90 day warranty and the additional warranty period covered by Cameta. The price was in line with LN+ equipment.

13. I bought my D200 from them last November and was very pleased I did. It had 264 shots on it and was virtually new. The only sign of wear was that the LCD cover had a small nick on it. (Easily and inexpensively replacable if it really bothered someone). What really made me happy I bought from them over a private seller was that the AF mechanism failed after 10 weeks - just 2weeks left on the 90-day Nikon warranty. I contacted Nikon USA, sent it in, and it was repaired and returned within 2 weeks. Some major parts were replaced, AF was adjusted, and it was like new again - no hassles.

Even if it had failed after the 90-day Nikon warranty, it would still be covered by Cameta's 1-year policy.

Nikon USA warranties are not transferrable - even if its a US version products. The original warranty only applies to the original owner. For grey market (import) products, some people have said Nikon USA won't even repair them for a fee. This isn't a big problem, however as there are many independent shops that will gladly help with the repair - and probably less expensive to boot.

14. I have bought both my D2X and D2Hs as factory demos/refurbs through Caemta Auctions and have been completely satisfied. Excellent values, and the equipment has been thoroughly checked out by Nikon. As someone else has correctly stated, I got a 90 day factory refurb warranty from Nikon, and Cameta extended that for a year of coverage. By the way, both cameras came in pristine condition with really low number of actuations. I will not hesitate to use Cameta Auctions for future purchases. Incidentally, I deal directly with them (using the 800 phone number) rather than mess around with eBay.

15. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I have made quite a few purchases through Cameta, and have never been unhappy. They have a lot of deals on Nikon batteries and charger bundles ans well as MB-D200 grips with batteries and chargers.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2007
  16. I had good luck with them too. I simply purchased a new D80. The only odd thing I saw in my searches was they were selling used backs as Nikon Demo. They made good on all and said it was a clerical error.

17. Zensu

Zensu

May 5, 2006
    Alabama USA
    Problem was resolved

I too purchased a D2H factory demo and when it came, it was exactly as described. A little over 30 shutter actuations and was pristine. Put it through some heavy (not abusive) use and the back buttons on the left side quit working. Nikon fixed it under 90 warranty for free. Has worked excellently since the repair. Even a factory demo can develope a problem. I've always heard that electronic components will normally fail in the first few hours of use if they are going to fail, so put whatever you aquire through a good workout before your warranty expires. I am happy with Cameta and would purchase from them again.

18. I've made several

purchases through them, including my D200, and all transactions have been good.

19. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    I bought my D2H from them. Indeed 90 day Nikon factory warranty. I was a bit annoyed that it did not come with the little covers and rings. Apparently that's normal for a factory refurb but this was not clearly indicated.

It's easy enough to get the parts for free or low cost but I was annoyed that Cameta did not help me in this matter at all.

I'd still buy from them again, but one should be aware of the caveats.

20. cj3209

cj3209

Nov 8, 2006
    Sunny SoCal
    Purchased a few products from them and they are an excellent store to deal with, on par with B&H Photo, etc.

:)
    CJ