Camouflaged Butterflies, 70-200VR+TC17EII and 24-120VR

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by CrystallP, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Hi All,

Here are two camouflaged butterflies from the Butterfly Conservatory, Niagra Park, Ontario, Canada.

July 21, 2005
    1/80s f/6.3 at 200mm

Nikon D70, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR + Nikon TC17E II

July 20, 2005
    1/60s f/5.6 at 70.0mm with Flash

View attachment 12642

Nikon D70, Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    That's a really neat capture, Crystall....the second reminds me of those pictures that played tricks on your eyes years back....the ones where you had to stare into a mass of colors to see a picture...I probably would have missed this if it had been me!!! Great find!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    boy those really are fantastic.

Thank you for sharing.

4. Cool shots...!!...you must have great technique to get these sharp pics with a heavy lens at 1/80....!! :)

ooops....just noticed the VR....was it on...???....super anyway..!! :oops:

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    These are beauties Crystall. Do you have your Maid of the Mist shots up yet?

6. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Crystall -

Both are very good images, but the second is a stunner. First, because the camouflage is so good. Second, because when you finally focus on the butterfly, its patterns and colors are spectacular. And third, you nailed the shot!

Gordon

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

That is one of the coolest places in the world.. I was there last year with my wife and I think I took about 400 pictures over the 2 hours I was in there with a couple Kodak P&S cameras I had with me.
    You have some nice shots there....
    This is one of my favorites from last year.

[​IMG]

Dave

8. Leigh, Gale, MGlenn, Frank, and Gordon

Thank you for the extremely kind comments! I wanted to post these right away because I thought they were so cool. They were taken on consecutive days using VR lenses. I can tell you that the 70-200VR+TC17EII is really really heavy after an hour or so. :shock: I wasn't able to set up a monopod to add the 500D to the combination, so I tried to get as close as possible. I was also surprised at how well the 24-120VR performed at the conservatory. I was reading a post that mentioned something about timing and it really paid off. I thought I had a bad demo lens. It turns out that I wasn't allowing the VR function to kick in.

Frank,
    My 'Maid of the Mist' gallery is live, found at: http://www.pbase.com/cympearson/maidofthemist. I will be posting a few in the landscape forum. All of the Maid of the Mist images were taken with the 24-120VR lens.

9. Dave,

Here are a few more from my adventures, notice any similarities?

View attachment 12644

10. Crystall i really like the second picture of the butterflied, very sharp, contrast is beautiful just enough to let it stand out of the background.

11. Gilles,

Thank you for the comment. I purchased a teleconverter just before our vacation. I chased this butterfly for a few minutes and took the second image at a rather odd angle. The conservatory was awesome. I am looking forward to a return visit next year. In the meantime I plan to check out the live butterfly exhibit at Brookside Gardens.

12. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Cool Shots , Its amazing how some insects blend in with there surroundings.

13. Yes, I had to look twice to find him.

14. Great shots, Crystall! Have you ever been to Longwood Gardens near Philly?

Regards,

15. Hello!

Yes, I have visited Longwood Gardens twice. I purchased a membership for my family right after our first visit. In fact, I was at Longwood Gardens during the 4th of July weekend. Love that place. I plan to return in September.

16. Crystall, What beautiful butterflies. The camouflage in the second is amazing, I would of never noticed it walking by.

17. Me either, this little fella enjoys blending into the background. I searched for the same species the next day. That is how I happened upon the log. I had my 70-200VR+TC17EII with me. I was able to zoom in on him and catch him before he flew off.