Camp Casey - July 2007

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Rick Waldroup, Jul 21, 2007.

1. I have been covering this story since the beginning- August 2005. I have made over a dozen trips there in that time. In early July 2007, one last rally was held at Camp Casey, as the property has since been sold to Los Angeles talk show host, Bree Walker. For a complete story about the history of Camp Casey and to view many more photos go here:http://www.thephotojournals.com/RickWaldroup/Camp%20Casey/CampCasey_1.htm

Cindy Sheehan

Noted author and artist, Peter Lucas
    View attachment 107046

View attachment 107047

Shoes of Iraqi children killed in the war
    View attachment 107048

Bruce Berry. Mr. Berry is a Viet Nam War vet and was one of the original seven people that came to Crawford in August 2005. He is one of the original founders of Camp Casey.
    View attachment 107049

These are just some random shots. For the complete story and many more photos click on the link: http://www.thephotojournals.com/RickWaldroup/Camp Casey/CampCasey_1.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very powerful images and commentary

3. Thanks Gale.

4. Sorry, can't help my post.

Nice photos ... but I'm afraid that any time these fools get "recognition" it's a sad day. They do not represent anything GOOD at all.

Although considerably less visual, I'd suggest spending some time with the sergeants, lieutenants, captains and majors who have been to Iraq and Afghanistan and many other places. Their stores and feelings are far different than these people. Do you know that re-enlistment rates are up? That folks willingly volunteer to return to Iraq? Why? Because they are stupid, right? No, because they can see the positive results of their efforts.

I loved it when Matt Lauer of TODAY asked troops in Baghdad why their feelings about the war were so much more positive than most Americans. Easy, said one, we don't read the newspapers!!

I don't either any more ... but I do talk to the guys and gals every time I have the chance. They remain our real HEROES. These folks are nothing more than an embarrassment.

Sorry ... I'm tired of being silent on these issues.

Ken

5. No problem Ken.

I have talked to members of the military who have returned from the war. There were quite a few of them at Camp Casey. Not all current or ex-Iraq war veterans support this war.

My original post with the photos was not meant as a political statement. It is a news worthy event- has been for two years. I have been documenting it that long.

No political rants on my part- just some shots of an event I have been covering for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2007
  6. Rick

I certainly have no problem with folks having differing opinions, and certainly some vets have had different experiences than most.

But, I am tired of the small minority getting the majority of the attention.

Here is a link to the kind of story that we see only sometimes ... and I wish IT occurred far more often than Ms Sheehan and her cronies.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123031670

These folks have earned their 15 minutes of fame. Sheehan has not.

Cheers!!

Ken

7. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I agree with all that Ken has posted. I also think these are some great shots and do indeed capture the event very well.

8. RAURICK

RAURICK Guest

Well done Ken!!!

9. With all due respect Ken, I think anyone who has lost a son in this war, who has camped in ditches, survived the heat waves here in Texas, saw her marriage break up over this, has had gunshots fired at Camp Casey, who has lived under constant death threats to her and her family for the past 2 years and bomb threats to Camp Casey- these are just a few things that come to mind immediately- I think that person is worthy of her "15 minutes of fame."

10. Well, if perhaps she had honored her son's feelings (many of his friends have indicated he'd be appalled at her actions), none of that would have happened.

No excuse, of course, for violence or threats of violence. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that as should others.

Don't mean to be argumentative ... but, no ... she gets no respect from me at all. Neither did Hanoi Jane a long time ago. Nor Tokyo Rose either, come to think of it ...

The folks who have, and are, serving ... they do.

Cheers!!

Ken

11. Nice work.

A fine example of life in a free society.

12. Really nice images, good work!

13. Thanks Ed and Michael.

14. Very well presented Rick. Nice photo work, regardless of one's political leanings.

15. Thank you David. That means a lot coming from you.

16. Ken, Thank you for that. My husband was activated in Feb 2002 and has been on active duty since. My kids have been without their dad for 5 1/2 years. I really dislike people like Sheehan. There ia a very small group of war protestors in our community that stand on a street corner every Friday night. The first time we saw them my 5 yr old (she was 6 months old when her dad was activated and deployed) asked me to read the signs. Her comment was, "Those people don't appreciate what daddy does." How sad that a 5 yr old picked up on that. I explained to her that it was because of people like her daddy that people could stand on street corners with signs like that.

When my husband came home from Iraq on leave he was absolutely disgusted with what he saw on the news. He said that they are so incredibly one sided it was dispicable. The media clearly has an agenda that does not include the complete truth or supporting our troops.

Thank you for not being silent.

17. All because of her own doing. Sorry, but I have no respect for her.

The pics say a lot and they are well done. It's because of thousands of men and women like her son that she is able to express her opinions in the way that she does.

18. Why do these things have to be political?

I understand all too well the sacrifice required. Several generations worth. I've had dead relatives in virtually every conflict, and more than one nephew in the current one. I never met my grandfathers and grew up in a severely broken family because I happen to be born into a family of military men. But hey I have a fine collection of Bronze Stars.

And the last person I would blame for Sheenan being shot at is her.

The day we all have to agree with everything our government does is the day we lose what all of those people fought and died for.

If the sacrifice isn't for the good of all of us, then it isn't for any of us.

19. Because the photos are making a political statement.

This is what was of her own doing.

20. Below is part of what I wrote on the site where the article is published. There were several negative reactions to the story and folks left comments and this is how I replied:

"Do you believe in the cause that started Camp Casey? I have been asked that question many times. And the answer is yes. Do I believe in everything Cindy Sheehan stands for? And the answer is no. Regardless of what I believe, the story of Camp Casey, to me, has always been about the people. The first time I went there, I had no idea what to expect, and frankly, I was expecting the worst- crackpots, weirdos, flakes, burned out hippies,etc.... and in that regard, I was not wrong. But what I also found were normal, everyday people brought together by extraordinary circumstances. This lead to life long friendships and bonds forged between these people that will never be broken. Doctors, truck drivers, gardners, housewifes, lawyers, stay-at-home-moms, business executives, students, people of all colors, gays, straights..... they all came to Camp Casey along with thousands of others. This is when the story turned for me- when I realized that this was not your everyday run-of-the-mill war protest. After meeting the people, I became convinced that I had to take this opportunity to document the event and preserve a slice of history.

I am proud of the story and the photos. I tried to show the passion of the peace movement that, up until Camp Casey, was almost dead in the water. And more importantly, I tried to display the convictions and emotions of those involved. Is the story perfect? No. Does my bias creep in here and there? I'm sure it does. I am not perfect, but I strived to tell the story in a straight ahead narrative- to give a basic overview of the history of Camp Casey. After being involved with this project for two years, I would hope that, in the end, and despite my flaws, I will be remembered for one thing and one thing only- I shot the story the best way I know how- with a compassionate camera."

For the past two years or so, this is what it has been like for me and my family:

I have been physically attacked 4 times in the past two years. In November I had a camera smashed in Dallas by a guy swinging a sign. I have been punched, pushed down, etc.... all for raising a camera and shooting.

Death threats. I usually get them on a monthly basis, mostly by phone but sometimes by email. I am easy to find. I have a website that has my email and phone number. I am a working freelance photojournalist.

I've gone through 3 sets of tires on my truck- due to vandalism. I had the back window smashed out once and a pile of dogcrap left on the seat.

Perhaps the creepiest moment came when my 26 year old daughter was standing in line one day at a store when a guy walked up to her and asked ,"Aren't you the daughter of Rick Waldroup?" She said yes and he proceeded to tell her that I should watch my back, that I was a traitor and should be shot, and so on. The guy left the store and she called me crying hysterically. I called the police and reported the incident, as I have a couple of other times. See, the thing is, is that we don't know how the guy knew it was my daughter. She has never been with me anywhere to these protests at all. I won't let her go.

Those are a few incidents that come to mind. And all I am doing is trying to document what I believe is a very important time in our history. In the two years I have been covering this story, I have never once joined a protest, marched in any rallies, etc. Am I sympathetic to their cause- to a point, yes- but my job is to document what I see. Any journalist or PJ that will tell you they are unbiased 100% of the time is full of crap. They are human like every one else and have biases, opinions, different beliefs, like everyone else. You simply try to keep an even keel and keep moving forward.

Shellie, I hope your husband is home soon. I hope all of the troops are home soon. I hope we will be able to put this long national nightmare behind us all and move on. This country desperately needs to heal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2007