Can a Cannon camera get this item?

Real Name
Jim Ledbetter
With my Nikon I can shoot and have it immediately show up on the screen of my laptop. I do this by using Nikon Camera Control Pro 2.

Does Cannon off a similar product where you can take a photo and immediately have it appear on your laptop?

I use Aperture 3 on my Mac, and it will do that without any other software, with most cameras I believe. For LiveView I do need Camera Control Pro 2.

Canon has Digital Photo Professional, which I think does tethering (which is the term for this type of shooting, by the way) as well. It's sort of a free version of Lightroom for Canon cameras, I have it but can't see if it does tethering because my only Canon is an S90 compact.

I personally like Lightroom as a tethering program.

WiFi cards will do the same, or very nearly the same, without the cable. I think Nikon made a wireless grip accessory once upon a time.

Yeah, Nikon's transmitter is a little ridiculous for anybody who's not making money with it. It's $700, and then you still need to have some means of setting up a wi-fi network to use it. It's also a walkie-talkie-style unit you wear on your belt or in your bag, that connects to the camera with a cable.

What's cool is that you can hook it up to a wired LAN. I wish they'd make a wired-only network accessory, actually, as ethernet cable is both super-cheap and capable of much longer runs than USB, while allowing higher speeds and more reliability than WiFi.

For cheap wireless tethering right now, the D300s is probably the best bet. You get the combination of the SD slot for the EyeFi and the ability to use the EN-EL4, which would make up for the battery drain issues.

Latest threads

Top Bottom