Can anyone give me some feedback on . . .

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kirchnel, Jul 7, 2007.

1. kirchnel

kirchnel

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern NJ
    the Promaster lenses?????
    My camera store is really high on these with the lifetime guarantee yada yada and a lower price but how come one never sees anyone talking about them on the internet or on ebay?
    thanks for feedback!:Dizzy:

2. aldirtfarmer

aldirtfarmer

May 2, 2006
    Aiken, SC
    I have never used a promaster lens, but do have a 2X converter for AF-D lens. The image quality was pretty good. Never had any issues with it.

Promaster is re-branded 3rd party lens. Sometimes Sigma, Tokina, or others. It depends on the lens type. The resale value is poor. I tried to sell the converter a couple of times with no luck.

If you don't plan to keep the lens a lifetime (and who does) then I would go for a named brand if you can afford it - that does not mean you have to buy the Nikkor. I have taken a lot of good pics with Sigma lens

3. it's like this:

say you're shopping for a bag of cat food. you go to wal-mart and find the promaster cat food for dirt cheap. sure it will feed your cat, but your cat will just be left wanting more. eventually your cat will stop eating promaster cat food and you will be forced to buy Nikon brand cat food if you want your cat to keep eating.

catch my drift?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I had some for my Coolpix5000. Did not care for them and bought Nikon.
    Quality just wasn't there

5. I looked around, and at least the exterior of the 12-24 lens looks to be identical to the Tokina, as do the specs. Whether the glass is the same, or they're "rejects" from Tokina is something else.

6. kirchnel

kirchnel

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Thanks for the feedback folks! Kinda what I was thinking anyway . . . you get what you pay for . . . . I was really curious because you really don't see them around -- except apparently in camera stores in my neck of the woods in NJ!

7. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    we carry 'em and my boss pushes them the same way, with the lifetime warranty, its hard to disagree with a cheaper price tag + lifetime warranty. that being said, i own all nikon lenses, with no warranty.