Can anyone ID this butterfly?

Hi All! Shot this butterfly with my D70 and my Sigma 150 Macro glass. Can anyone ID this for me?

Thanks, Anthony

butterfly1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

butterfly2.jpg

butterfly3.jpg

butterfly4.jpg

Anthony,

I'm certainly no expert, but it looks like an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.

Nice shots BTW. :wink:

Anthony:

While I don't know what these butterflies are called, they sure are beautiful. Very nice images. I have seen these many times but they move much too fast and don't stay in one place long enough. How close were you to the butterfly? That Sigma 150mm macro looks like a very nice lens.

Lisa said:
Anthony:

While I don't know what these butterflies are called, they sure are beautiful. Very nice images. I have seen these many times but they move much too fast and don't stay in one place long enough. How close were you to the butterfly? That Sigma 150mm macro looks like a very nice lens.

Hi Lisa! I was maybe 2 to 3 feet away. The butterfly was pretty busy flying from flower to flower.

Anthony

J

JMartin

Very nice shots Anthony.

How do you like the 150 Sigma? I have been considering getting that lens. Unfortunately I don't have a store in the area that has a selection of lenses to check out, so I have no clue which would be best for the types of macro I want to do.

Joe

JMartin said:
Very nice shots Anthony.

How do you like the 150 Sigma? I have been considering getting that lens. Unfortunately I don't have a store in the area that has a selection of lenses to check out, so I have no clue which would be best for the types of macro I want to do.

Joe

Joe, I did a lot of reasearch on the subject. It was either the Nikon 105mm or the Sigma 150mm both were about the same price but the Sigma gave me more reach. Build quality is excellent! Below is another sample with this lens.

Anthony

flower11.jpg

JMartin said:
Very nice shots Anthony.

Joe

Anthony, I too am interested in your impressions of this lens. Joe, have you also looked at the Sigma and Tamron 180 macros? The 150 and both the 180's look pretty attractive on paper.

J

JMartin

Thank you very much Anthony.

I really did not want to spend the money on another lens atm, but that Sigma 150 macro is REALLY tugging hard!

I just ordered my IR filters for my D100, I had been doing IR with my Coolpix 950. I also would really like a sidekick for my monopod setup, so that is making my decisions real hard. Seeing good shots with the Sigma 150 like these just make this decision harder!!!! :twisted:

Frank, I did indeed looked at both. I have just heard far more positive feedback and seen more images shot on the Sigma 150.

BTW, have you ordered those extension tubes yet or have you just decided to get a macro lens?

Joe

Flew said:
JMartin said:
Very nice shots Anthony.

Joe

Anthony, I too am interested in your impressions of this lens. Joe, have you also looked at the Sigma and Tamron 180 macros? The 150 and both the 180's look pretty attractive on paper.

Hi Frank! I don't konw much about the 180's but this Sigma 150 is great lens. I was very impressed with the build quality and it comes with a very nice lens case not cloth pouch we get get from Nikon :?

Here's another from yesterday!

Anthony

flower13.jpg

JMartin said:
Frank, I did indeed looked at both. I have just heard far more positive feedback and seen more images shot on the Sigma 150.

BTW, have you ordered those extension tubes yet or have you just decided to get a macro lens?

Joe

Joe,

Yes, I got the tubes. They are a total bust on the 70-200VR. I didn't realize that extension tubes don't work at all well with zoom lenses. (learning these things in this hobby can get very expensive :?). Basically, it would only focus at certain zoom setting, it at all. Really weird.

In any case, I'm now looking at the Sigma 150 and 180, and the Tamron 180 macro lenses. The tubes may work fine on one of these, since they aren't zooms.

Let me know what you decide.

Latest threads

Top Bottom