Can anyone id ...?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by StuSimmo, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Taken recently, just wondering if anyone knows the name ???

Cheers,

Stu

original.

2. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Pretty sure it's a Straw-necked Ibis Stu. Really, really nicely controlled highlights in that shot!

Neil

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really nice shot. Unusual bird. Beautiful feathers.

Gale

4. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Vey nice shot held the highlights well and great color

6. Don't have a clue on the ID but it is a well taken shot with good detail and color.

7. WOW, Stu. That is a very unusual bird. I think it is a Blue Man Group Bird........hehehehehehe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Stu,

I believe that it is a juvenile White Ibis.

Regards,

Frank

9. Frank, Stu is in New Zealand...so its not a White Ibis...although its definitely <i>some</i> kind of Ibis! Unfortunately I don't have a bird book for down under...but I'll look on the web....stay tuned...

10. Actually, I may have to correct myself. I think its a Straw-necked Ibis. The Australian White Ibis wouldn't have so much black, even as an immature. Also the Straw-breasted has red legs.
    http://www.birdphotos.com.au/strwaneckedibisweb/

11. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    :D

Neil
    (It helps that I'm Australian and have seen plenty of Straw-necked Ibises and Australian White Ibises - which it still may be)

EDIT: I'm only gloating because this is such an incredibly rare event where I might have been right. :)

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OK, OK, Neil, so you aced the vet and the noob. Don't gloat too much.... :lol: :lol:

Forgetting where this pic was taken, I just blithly got out my Sibley 'Guide to Birds' forgetting that it probably only covers N America.... :oops:

Good job Neil (I personally think that it was a lucky guess....;-)).

Regards,

Frank

13. Thanks

Thanks for all the replies and finally getting an id which was great. The shot was taken at Auckland Zoo but the bird wasnt tagged as far as I could see and I couldnt see it on any of the info boards. I took about 4 shots and I think this was the best for composition and exposure.

Backdoctor, I think your picture definitely shows a more natural environment.