Can I get a quick quick release primer ...

I've never used the things - never really minded fiddling with the old fashioned screws.
But...
I'm wanting a good ball head to replace my pan-tilt and all of those things use QR fittings.

I'm pretty much decided on the Markins head. They've got all sorts of plates so ordering from them would be convenient - but are there better choices?
If so, why? Markins Plates

Do I need plates for my 70-200 and 300 2.8VR?
Can I still screw my monopod into these plates?
Will the lumpy plate on the bottom of the camera drive me nuts?
(seems like it would).

Any other important things I should have asked and need to know?

Thanks,
Don

I like the L-bracked for the camera as offered by kirk and also by really right stuff. These guys offfer a great variety of plates. But there's nothing wrong with mixing and matching. You may want to check their sites if you haven't already. You probably want the plates for your lenses. Mine have tripod hole on the plates, so no problem. You just need to check when you buy to be sure. Don't buy any 'lumpy' plates. The ones I use are hardly noticeable. I prefer the L-bracket for my camera bodies.

Maybe I'll have to learn the hard way

jfrancis said:
Get a Kirk or RRS L plate for the camera. Expensive but so worth it for the convenience.

I'm having enough problems dealing with the idea of a plate on the bottom of the camera - an L bracket is just too clunky. I seldom use the tripod w/o a long lens (which will have its own plate and rotating collar). The times I need portrait with the body mounted I'll flip the ball. If I get sick of that I'll be sure to come back and let you guys give me a good
"neener neener - we told you so":smile:

So far I'm looking at the Markins with its plate, the Markins or Kirk body plate and the Kirk replacement feet.

Don

Even if you don't get an L-bracket, I still think it's worth getting a camera-specific plate made for your camera body as opposed to a generic plate such as Markins is selling. The better fit should give you more stability and less vibration.

I like the RRS stuff because they have a whole modular system. If you use their plates, you can easily add their flash brackets, or use their other accessories and it all fits together nicely. It's not cheap but they do make some nice stuff.

I've used Kirk and Markins plates and feet on a variety of lenses and DSLR's, and found both companies to make a fine product. I'm sure RRS makes excellent products, too.

When the D200 arrives, however, I'm going to look into Camdapter's camera plate because it can attach to their handstrap and a neckstrap at the same time. http://www.camdapter.com/

I currently use an Hakuba handstrap on my D70 and much prefer the handstrap to the neckstrap. I can use the Kirk camera plate and the Hakuba handstrap on the D70 at the same time, but it's not a good fit and bulky. The Camdapter plate & handstrap are designed to fit together and could remain on the camera at all times. There's even an extra slot on the other end of the Camdapter camera plate for adding a neckstrap on those rare occasions when I want one. I hope Camdapter comes out with one for the D200 soon.

Glenn

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
i currently have 2 of the kirk body plates that come with the ball heads. If you want to try a universal to see what you get I will send you one, no charge.
Dave

Thank you all

I went with the Markins - can't believe I was vain enough to pop the extra $20 for grey finish.

Kirk feet for my two lenses.

Markins camera plate because it had the loops for straps should I ever want to use them. CamAdapter didn't list a plate for the D2x.

Thanks for the input.

Don

I went with the RRS BH-55 last March since it had a lever locking mechanism (as opposed to turning a knob). This because of arthritis in the hands - slick and fast.

Perhpas other manufacturers now offer this feature - I just haven't looked...

Latest threads

Top Bottom