Can I get some feedback on the Nikon 105 F1.4 E from owners please

I rented this lens for a bit and really like it for how it captures tight portraits. Sharp wide open, but the focal length limits potential for indoor use. So....I'd really like to hear from those of you who have had this lens. How have you used it? I've had two previous iterations of a Nikon 105 so don't want to push the buy button to have this lens sitting in the closet

Bob, this lens has quickly become my favorite for outdoor portraits. You're right about the length being an issue indoors. My copy is incredibly sharp even wide open, and the bokeh is simply divine. If you like good portraiture, don't hesitate.

I also own 70-200mm, 85mm f1.4, and 135mm f2.0DC but this lens tops them all.

Bob, this lens has quickly become my favorite for outdoor portraits. You're right about the length being an issue indoors. My copy is incredibly sharp even wide open, and the bokeh is simply divine. If you like good portraiture, don't hesitate.

I also own 70-200mm, 85mm f1.4, and 135mm f2.0DC but this lens tops them all.
Thanks for your feedback Mitchell. I'm leaning towards purchasing..just have to have that little push. Cause you know the better half is liable to be pushing the other way.

I have used mine for indoor corporate events. I just feel it is a bit too long in a studio setting.

12917-9-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Only lens I've shot with a similar look outdoors was the 200mm f2 which is much longer, heavier and pricier.

122417-2-L.jpg

Congrats, Bob (y)
Had the DC/Macro 105's loved the FL but not the speed or AF.
This version hits all the right notes for me...enjoy! :D

D810 f1.8 ISO720 1/640th

810_9169.jpg

Last edited:
So the lens arrived today. Great news. Now I know this is promoted as a portrait lens so I was anxious to get out shooting some portraits. Unfortunately there seemed to be a scarcity of willing portrait models...cowards! Other than this guy.
Gnome%201240-X3.jpg

And of course the neighbourhood rodents.
squirrel%201238-X3.jpg

Gnome shot at f1.6 and squirrel at 1.4 (majorly cropped squirrel image ) Noted that wide open presents a noticeable vignetting, but easily dealt with in Lightroom. I do believe I'm going to have some fun with this lens...hopefully I can entice some family members to practice on.

Latest threads

Top Bottom