Can I mount a EOS lens on the D200?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Lil Judd, Apr 30, 2007.

1. OK, I know I'm bad but I fell in love with a 24-105mm very nice Canon lens today at Best Buy. Is there any way of mounting it on my D200?

I find tons of EOS body to Nikon lens adapters. But what about the other way around?

Lil

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You can fit any Canon lens onto a Nikon body. Just set the lens on the camera's lens mount, then hit it real hard with a ball-peen hammer. :Unsure: :BigGrin: :Crunk:

Actually, it's much harder than that to do, because the opening on a Nikon camera is smaller than the Canon lens is around, and because the Canon lens mount is not as far from the sensor than it is on a Nikon camera. If you do get it mounted, you will be limited to close-up pictures.

Think of it this way: by not being able to mount the Canon 24-105 f/4L IS lens on your camera, you have just saved yourself a cool thousand dollars!

3. Hi Vlad,

I have the 24-120VR but just can't decide if I like it. I got mine new for $ 509.00. I just don't like all the plastic on the consumer lenses. Wish Nikon had something in the pro line in that direction.

Thanks for the web reference. One of the few ones I've read where they seem to like the lens.

Thanks,

Lil

4. LOL Good one Chris & thanks for clarifying.

LOL Very funny Chris. I think I'll skip the hammer. I like my D200 too much. :smile:

OK, thanks for clarifying the situation. Canon's mounts are larger & therefore there are mounts which can convert the Nikon lenses to fit them. Also the sensor distance.

OK It was a dumb thought, but it is a nice lens.

I so wish Nikon would come out with a pro version in the range of the 24-120VR.... So I'm still at my dilemma in regards to wide angle lens & mid range lens......

Back to the drawing board which means. Work with the 24-120VR so I can decide if I like it or not. If I don't upgrade to the 18-200 VR or......

Thanks for the help. Needed to clarify as I've seen so many mounts for Nikon lenses to Canon bodies....

Lil

5. I've not owned a 24-120 VR in the nikon line but you sure hear a ton of praises about it. That was going to be my suggestion.

I also wouldn't sweat the plastic/metal construction issue either. If you take care of the 'consumer' lens, it will last you a good long time.

6. If you could, Id have a 400f5.6 USM tomorrow!

7. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    It fits on my camera..... :)

8. 24-120 VR a good lens

I've unfortunately read several threads in other places about it being "soft". That's when I started doubting the lens without working with it.

I have a friend coming in on Monday from out of the country. We'll be going places & I plan to take it on these trips. After that I feel I'll be able to assess it better. I also really need to look at the hummingbird shots I took with it. I ended up taking about 250 shots in no time & had no strength to go through them. I suffer from chronic headaches & go through weeks I just can't think...

Anyhow, I'm glad to finally hear some good things about the lens as it cost me over $ 500.00....

Thanks,

Lil:smile:

9. That's nice Randy...

Glad it fits your Canon, but I'm not about to buy a Canon body for one lens...

OK, I know - - they have many nice lenses. Unfortunately I'm not too fond of their bodies.

Thanks,

Lil

10. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Hi Lil,

The 24-120 isn't a top shelf lens, but it's not a bad lens either. It's not real sharp wide open, but 1 or 2 stops down and it shines pretty nicely, IMO. I've gotten a lot of shots in my Washington DC and Chicago galleries, that were taken with that lens. Indeed, some of my best ever shots used that lens. I've even gotten some pretty nice macro/closeups with it, hand held. :smile: It has very good flare resistance and was an excellent walkaround lens for me. I don't do much walkaround stuff these days, but I won't part with the lens.

Just don't fight the lens. Let the VR settle and don't abuse the VR while expecting critical sharpness, like a lot of folks do.

As for the plastic stuff, I think that's the wave of the future. I suspect that my 28-70 af-s has much more plastic on it than my 35-70 f/2.8d.

FWIW, if I had to pick lenses for travel and walkaround shooting, lenses that are light and versatile, it would be the 24-120 and 80-400 in the bag, and I'd add the 18-50 f/2.8 sigma, if I had room. None of those are the sharpest lenses I own, but they're the ones that I know will bring home the bacon, more often than not, without a lot of fuss.

11. Hi Kerry - nice to see a face I know. ;-)

Thanks for your input on the 24-120VR lens. So many on DPR blast it so I've gotten hesitant about it. I will however play with it when my friend comes to visit next week. We're going a few places & it should be perfect for that.

I've again visited your lovely web site & you have some very nice shots with it there.

I have to work with it more as I have to admit I've not done so.

Thanks for finding my little thread. :smile:

Lil

12. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Hi Lil,

I know that lots of folks like to dog the lens, but I've seen no reason to believe that it isn't a good lens for general use. It's an older design, prolly in need of updating, but I won't be getting rid of mine. :biggrin: I'd suggest that you play with it around the house and yard, before your friend arrives. It doesn't take long to figure out how to use it to best advantage, especially as a P&S lens. :smile:

13. I've done a little playing with it & it doesn't seem all that unusual for me to work. I took this one in available light of my husband a few days ago.... I was trying to work with it & use him for the study. Not in my husband's plans. So I only got a few shots in & this is the only one I kept.

[​IMG]

Lil

14. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Well, 1/13, wide open at 120mm, is prolly not a "normal" shot for most folks. :smile: Looks fine to me. Focus is on and sharp for the settings used. What do you think?

15. OK, you have to tell me how you figured out the settings as I did not list them. I've seen others do that as well & I don't know how they do it.....

I'm of the opinion that based upon the settings, handheld etc etc - the lens did well. No complaints actually. Colors are on etc.

I would have used the flash if I thought my husband wouldn't have gotten irritated, but I know him on that one. Also, I wanted to see what would happen as I was testing the camera. My poor husband works very long & hard hours when he works, so when he's home he wants to relax & not be the subject of photographic studies. ;-)

I've just located the rest of my test shoot with the 24-120VR. I was in many ways pushing it to it's limit & beyond. I'll post after the batch process is done with them & I've had a chance to look at them.

Remember though - - - I was pushing the lens to it's limit in these shots. I tend to always do that & to do things different than others would.

Lil

16. I use OPanda viewer. Right click on an image and it will bring up exif info if available.:biggrin:

17. Thanks Shepherd Wong....

Works beautifully on Gran Paradiso. :)

Lil

18. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Shepherd gave you the answer to that. :smile:

I agree, which is why I don't pay any mind to the folks that dog this lens. It gives acceptable results, when used properly and skillfully.

So long as you remember that things pushed to the limits, usually result in lower keeper rates, there's nothing wrong with doing that. :cool:

19. I appreciate that a lot. I've been wondering how people figure out settings.

I've played with it a little today & the lens is soft. My husband, a professional cameraman in Film & TV, says so as well. We're both used to super sharp images, so it will come down to the fact that I have to see if I'll adjust to the "softer" look of the lens.

Well Kerry, right now I'm going through a rate where keeper rate is not an issue. I'm playing with too many issues to worry about that. I have too many open "can of worms" to say the least.

1. aRGB vs sRGB, which to shoot....... well I guess aRGB is winning that one:rolleyes:

2. setting settings in the D200 or leaving it almost in "neural" past the aRGB & mode II settings, or adding sharpening etc in custom settings...

3. bracketing - - - I'm of the opinion my camera most of the time under exposes. So I worked with bracketing for a a few days. Just don't like how they have it set up. I'd like it to do it differently, maybe some setting I have not figured yet.

4. Uncompressed vs Compressed RAW files

5. If I should set the camera on a constant EV +1

6. Histograms & blinkies, working with

Due to the fact that I'm dealing with all these decisions every day I'm finding myself taking about 120 shots almost on a daily basis working on what settings will work best for me. So right now I'm just shooting a lot getting a "feel" for what will work best for me.

Once I find where I want things, the experimenting will calm down so for now I feel like I'm testing the "waters" on a continues basis. But it will slow down....

Anyhow, here's one from today....

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.