Can I move/copy software from old computer to new one?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I am in the (painful) process of setting up my new desktop PC.

There are a few programs that I used that are now longer downloadable from the internet, such as Lexar Image Rescue 5. I have the old C: from my old computer. Could I add that internal HD to my new computer and install the s/w on my new machine?

And I have a licensed copy of MS Office 2007 that I'd like to get on the new machine. (YES - I have Libre, but I much prefer Office 2007...).

I also need to move some Workspace, Keyword, actions, etc from the old PC to the new one......... (Yes, I thought I had copied the key files into a folder on one of my internal HDs, but I'm still sorting all that out.....!!!!! )

And my NEC calibration sensor that plugs into a USB port is not being recognized by the NEC Spectravision s/w.... UGH!

Fun, fun! LOL!

Real Name
Don Roy
Can you? Nope. Without the install/setup files, you'll never get the registry entries done to make Windows happy. Just dig deeper on the net to find old install files, or just upgrade. For Office, one option besides buying is to find a buddy or family member that bought into Office 365 and has room on their account. Office 365 comes with a 5 computer license, which I have and share with family members across the country.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can you? Nope. Without the install/setup files, you'll never get the registry entries done to make Windows happy. Just dig deeper on the net to find old install files, or just upgrade. For Office, one option besides buying is to find a buddy or family member that bought into Office 365 and has room on their account. Office 365 comes with a 5 computer license, which I have and share with family members across the country.
Well, I have my CD for Office 2007! I just used it to install Office 2007. I have my beloved Excel back! wooooHOOOO!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I have my saved downloads with the .exe files. I just successfully installed ProShow Gold v9.0. BTW - ProShow has been sold and is no longer available. I even successfully registered it with the serial number! And yes I launched it just to make sure it works!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
When my kids talk me into updating software, and these days it doesn't take much talking, the new stuff is always way better than the old stuff, every time.
Depends. The software I'm talking about serves and exceeds my needs very well. I'm not chasing the latest and greatest, just using known s/w for my needs.

Real Name
David
Assuming you have the install keys, there are sites you can google for old versions of applications.

There are some applications that you may be able to directly copy over, but yes the answer for most applications is no. Registry settings, installations of system or shared files, etc.

I have an old version of Photoshop installed, Lightroom 6.14, the current free version of Bridge, and the DNG converter (I think that's all). And look how many places Adobe created a directory called "Adobe" on my system, and that's not including directories with Adobe in the name (there are another 124 of those):

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

MS Office 2007 is a 32-bit program and won't run on the latest macOS. Will Windows 10 run it?
32-but Mac SW won't run on a 64-bit OS? In the Windows world, yes 32 bit (even a lot of older stuff) will run on 64-bit Windows.

Under Windows properties you have:

And

Real Name
Don Roy
What I meant was that I have experience with the plusses and the minuses of both operating systems.
I know, was kidding. I've been a lifelong Windows user (retired IBM). I'm taking a photography class now at the local Comm Coll, using LR on Macs. I'm a fish out of water. "Where's the right mouse button? Where's the scroll wheel? What kind of name is 'Finder' to manage your files?" It's like being in France and not knowing how to speak french.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Good news! I was able to re-install on my new PC all my s/w including PS preferences, workspace, and keywords! I calibrated my monitor this morning.

Now I am FINALLY downloading my images from Africa! LOL!

You get used to it quickly enough (finder or explorer :)) . I do use a mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel on mac though.
After a while you stop wondering why you can't do this or that in mac OS or vice versa in windows.

I know, was kidding. I've been a lifelong Windows user (retired IBM). I'm taking a photography class now at the local Comm Coll, using LR on Macs. I'm a fish out of water. "Where's the right mouse button? Where's the scroll wheel? What kind of name is 'Finder' to manage your files?" It's like being in France and not knowing how to speak french.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom