Can I use anti-fog lens products on my lens?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wgilles, Jul 11, 2008.

1. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    If I go and pick up a anti-fog lens product for binoculars or scopes can I use that on my lens? I have been trying to take pictures down at the beach for sun rises and they fog up so fast because of all the humidity. Can I use them?

2. I'm interested in this same question too. I was planning to go out to my camera store and buy anti-fog spray for my lens and my eyeglasses too.

3. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    I may just be paranoid, but I don't put anything on my lens that coats it. As for fogging make sure that your lens and camera are at ambient tempeture so that they don't.
    Dan

4. I agree with Dan. I use stuff like that on my glasses when I out jogging in the fall--they DO leave a residue that will affect lens clarity.
    Take your camera out and let it warm up for a few minutes before you need it.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    this has only happened to me once, it was at the botanical gardens when I entered the tropical indoor exhibit that was very humid and warm

after a few minutes the foggy lens returned to normal

7. Whitedog

Whitedog Guest

Living in the hot and humid South it is a daily problem. As all have suggested, wait for the camera and lens to reach ambient temp and it will go away.

8. As mentioned, this problem arises when you take your camera from a cool, air conditioned interior to a warm, humid outside. In extreme cases, you can also fog up the interior elements, so no, anti-fog won't help. The reason Binoculars don't fog up internally is because they are purged with nitrogen to prevent this. My solution to this problem is a hair dryer. Before going outside to the warm, humid atmosphere, I'll take a hair dryer on low to medium heat, and wave the warm air over the lens and camera until the chill is removed. Some extremes in air temps and humidity will require more warming, but this eliminates the problem of fogging, and I highly recommend it. And if you're wondering, you will not fog the lens up inside with the hair dryer, because you're using a dry heat. It's the temp change, coupled with increased humidity outside that causes the heavy fogging.

9. Don't use anti-fog. The whole idea is that it does leave a residue. I think it reduces the surface tension of water droplets so that they form a continuous film instead. The water still condensates on the surface and you will end up taking your pictures through an uneven film of water. Not very good for sharpness and you'll have to find a way of washing it off :eek:

10. I faced this problem once when i was first shooting swimming and water polo at my college. I got a tip that you can actually put your lens and body in plastic baggies like a zip-lock, and the condensation on the camera and lens will try to evaporate but it will just form up on the inside of the baggies. Then you can take your stuff out and shot away. I dont know the exact science behind it but i've tried it and it works pretty well.

11. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Great, thanks so much, I'll do the zip lock bag thing (just picked up some 2.5 gallon bags) for tomorrow. Thanks.

12. Actually, what you're doing is adding an insulating layer of air around the lens. This layer of air warms slowly to the warmer outside temp, allowing the lens and camera to warm slowly as well. This prevents the fogging from the rapid change. The bag also blocks the humidity from the camera and lens while it's cool, thus preventing it from condensing on the surfaces of the lens and cameral. Just know that this technique takes some preparation, as it takes a while for the camera and lens to warm up adequately. If you know ahead of time that you are going outside to warm, muggy temps, this can work. But, if you get an idea, and want to run right out and shoot, this won't work. You'll need to use the hair dryer method I mentioned above. I can take my camera from a very cool interior to a hot muggy/humid outside in less than 2 minutes by using the hair dryer technique. The hair dryer also helps if you fog up the camera and lens. Taking it back inside and heating with the hair dryer will rapidly remove the fog from the lens.

13. Jmm..ok I'll try the ziplock baggie thing. I do need something for my eyeglasses anyway. You all may be right as not to apply anything to the camera lens or the filters. The filters I have are expensive so I'd hate to replace it if cleaning any anti-fog product residue is hard to do.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, everyone!

14. I guess that I am the only one who has used an anti-fog product on my lenses. Since Nikon puts its name on anti-fog sheets, I figured that they could not be very damaging to a lens. By the way, they work great. I have used them several times, with no noticable ill effects. I have used an anti-fog sheet on my lens and viewfinder, immediately before going from cool, outside temperatures into a hot, humid butterfly pavillion, and was able to start shooting immediately. Without the anti-fog treatment, it takes at least 15 minutes in the pavillion, before shooting is possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  15. Thanks for the info, Cliff Good to know there is such a product with Nikon's name on it. I wonder if Nikon still has it at the Nikon Mall...I'll definitely be looking for it at my camera shop where they do have lots of accessories for Nikon shooters.

16. Nice to know there is a product specifically designed for lenses.

"Reusable anti-fog Nikon 8073 Fog Eliminator utilizes a breakthrough dry compound that stops condensation from forming on lens surfaces. Each Nikon 6"x7" cloth is for multiple applications. Nikon Fog Eliminator 8073 is sold in 3-packs."

17. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    That's nice to know Nikon makes something. I'll check it out

18. You know what? Actually I did something opposite of what I said.

I went to Walgreens and bought anti-fog sheets,,works on my glasses and I applied it to my filters..not on the camera lens though.

Went to Great Falls, MD yesterday and while the humidity wasn't horrible as it was the first time I went there 2 weeks ago, no fogging showed up on my glasses nor the filter. I'd say what I bought did the job just fine and for a lot less money.

YMMV.