1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Can my 50/1.8 AI be fixed?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by milkpowder, Aug 17, 2008.

1. My 50/1.8 AI broke after going on a week-long trip with me to Australia:Angry::confused:  The focus ring has come loose which means the lens no longer focusses. Can this be fixed?

2. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Hi,
    it very likely can be fixed, but probably needs a trip to Nikon service.

I believe you can find a mint replacement cheaper and have a lot of choices ranging from $30 to $500:
    • 50 f/1.8 AI
    • 50/1.8 AIS
    • 50/1.8 AIS (series E)
    • 50 f/1.4 AI
    • 50/1.4 AIS
    • 50 f/1.2 AI
    • 50/1.2 AIS
    • 50/2 AI
    • 55/1.2 AI
    • 55/2.8 AIS Micro
    • 55/3.5 AI Micro
    • 58/1.2 AIS Noct (at least $3000 used)
    • 45 f/2.8 AIP (has cpu)
    • AF 50/1.8D
    • AF 50/1.4D

3. Jonathan,

You have nothing to lose. Just find yourself some jewellers screwdrivers, a couple of sheets of white paper, and take it apart. It's a bit like Meccano, but with smaller screws.

Make sure you do it in a place where you won't be disturbed by kids or animals and can leave it if you get fed up.

The actual lens elements are held together in a block, so don't imagine they are all going to suddenly fall out all over the place. Just take care, and make sure you clean all the lens surfaces before you put it back together.

Regards,

4. Sounds like a fun project! Failing that I'll just get myself a "new" one. Thanks Peter & Steve.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.