1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Can NX do this like Lightroom, can Lightroom?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by LarryD, Apr 7, 2007.

1. I understand that with Lightroom you can have a two views of the same picture on screen at the same time. (if your screen is big enough) I also understand that you can make modifications to one of them and be able to see the before and after effects real time on screen without switching around. In other words a view of the original NEF can always be before you and a view of the same picture showing any modifications you are doing as you are doing them can also be on screen along side it. Is this correct? Can the same thing be done in Capture NX? Thanks

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    yes Lightroom shows a before after I find the program great, I don't use NX

3. I have Lightroom, Capture 4.x, NX, Photoshop CS2 and Thumbs Plus -- I find I am trying to move a lot of my workflow over to Lightroom as it covers most of what I need and using the other programs on an as required basis.

The multi-image preview isn't as powerful as Thumbs Plus' for doing your selects, however, it's great in edit mode! You can compare it to the original or to another photo if you like at 100% (or whatever % you select) and scroll around the screen with the two photos synchronized.

If Lightroom 1.0 is this good, this early (despite some concerns I have with it), I really can't wait for version 2!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    CS3 does all light room does and more
    Light room is a big hole adobe is pouring money into

5. jbm007

jbm007

Sep 5, 2005
    Wrong
    CS3 is not a database file manager; which LR is.
    Bridge is a Suite browser/file manager/file assignment program for the CS3 Suite.
    LR is a application for managing, adjusting, and presenting large volumes of digital photographs. CS3 is not.
    The CS3 Suite is more geared towards: Artist,Graphics Designers,Web Developers.
    LR is strictly geared towards Digital photographers, and digital file management.
    And as far as I know Adobe is making tons of money on everything they are touching.

6. Gale, Gale, Gale - tsk tsk :biggrin: :wink:

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Who said anything about CS3 "Suite"
    CS3 by its self is for photographers, Raw processing basically and retouching. Not the graphic arts.
    Again as far as LR goes, cs3 will process the same or more than LR.
    If one has no use for any PS applications, then LR is applicable.
    But not to have both.
    Although to have both, you just spend an extra 200.00 for the same application twice
    For those that can throw money away. Hey makes no difference

8. Larry,
    To answer your question re: NX, no you cannot have two copies of the same image (i.e. file name) open at the same time. You can select an image in the browser, ctrl-D to dup it, then select both the image and the copy, then right click and select compare in Editor. Both images will be then opened and resized to fit your editor window.
    OR, you can use the Version feature to hope back and forth between the original, current or any saved version.
    Hope this helps!

9. Hi Larry

In NX you pick view, then compare. There are 3 choices. "Compare with original" will get you 2 smaller views of the image over the one you are editing; the original and the one with the changes on it. On my system (probably all systems) you can't edit while this mode is in effect. You can zoom in on the images and expand their overall size, however.

Larry

10. Thanks Conrad!
    That is exactly what I was hoping for. Doing what you suggested I found you can edit one of the copies and see the effects between the two pictures at the same time on the same screen. Great!!
    Thanks again
    Larry

11. HAC_X

HAC_X Guest

From what my Adobe rep emailed me there will be "flavours" of CS3
    From his email

"Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium delivers a dream toolkit for print, web, interactive, and mobile design. "

"Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard focuses on professional print design. "

"Adobe Creative Suite 3 Web Standard serves the professional web developer. "

"Adobe Creative Suite 3 Production Premium is a complete post-production solution for video professionals. "

"Adobe Creative Suite 3 Master Collection enables you to design across media — print, web, interactive, mobile, video, and film — in the most comprehensive creative environment ever produced. "

As for pricing..(these are retail prices, not upgrade prices)

Design Standard - $1,199
    Design Premium - $1,799
    Web Premium - $999
    Web Standard - $1,199
    Production Premium -$1,699
    Master Collection - $2,499

I've played with the beat of CS3, and its got some intersting features, such as very much impoved image stitching, and some really neat HDR cration tools, but I'm not sure yet if I'll go that route. I use CS2 for more than just digital retouching, lot of my web work stuff has content created in CS2, and its a must for masking and alpah work in my 3d apps..

Cheers
    Harold

12. Gale, your statement would be correct if you have all the time in the world to process your images; however, Lightroom enables me to work considerably more quickly with large batches of photos than Photoshop by itself. Additionally, the ability to manage large volumes of photos after processing in Lightroom is far better than Photoshop/Bridge.

I still use Photoshop for things that Lightroom cannot do... but for most things Lightroom is the cat's pyjamas.

13. Gale, I respect your comments generally, however CS# is by name a suite!
    Your comments regarding LR and CS show that there may be some benefit in exploring the differences between the two.
    As for Adobe pouring money down a hole, evidence please.
    Thomas Knoll who along with his brother were the inventors of PS is a big force in the development of LR. I am sure that he is not wasting his time.

Have a great day and take it easy.......

14. My understanding is that Thomas has been involved in the raw pipeline only. This pipe is the same for ACR and Lr. Thomas has posted several times about Lr, not entirely in agreement with Hamburg, about the utility of Lr. I sense a tinge of skepticism in Thomas' posts. OTOH, I think Lr has spurred Thomas to improve the raw conversion, which is a good thing.

I would guess that Thomas also was involved in some of the develop tools, such as parametric curves, the LHS editor and the split toning.

Does this jive with your understanding Geoff?

15. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    I think these questions are part of this thread....

Right now I have CS2 (Photoshop only) and Nikon Capture 4.1. I use Capture only for those photos that need closer attention for raw processing. Three features that I don't have now, but that would be very helpful to me, are:

1 - having a "magnifying glass" to check detail and focus in a file without having to open it first,

2 - being able to have two pictures side by side, and move around both simultaneously for comparison purposes, and

3 - being able to selectively process parts of a picture differently.

Should I use CS2 + Lightroom, or should I upgrade to CS3? I think both programs have #1 and #2 functionality?

Does CS3 have #3 functionality, or do I need NX for that?

Thanks.

DAB

16. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Lightroom works great with dual monitors; the full screen before and after comparison is awesome. I have CS2 loaded as well, but Lightroom is the cat's meow, and is used very frequently.
    Best $99 (education $) I have spent.

17. I beg to differ -- it's the bee's knees!

18. My understanding is that TK is involved with the raw pipline but probably oversees the lot. I guess that he is involved a lot with the people from Raw Shooter as well.

19. Though it is not designed yet with dual/multi screen support people do have it working. This is being addressed in the near future.

And they are dancing bees !!!!!!:wink:

20. Well I can hit the 'Restore Down' button in the corner of my window and then manually stretch the entire application across both screens -- which works great in grid mode (just click the maximize button to reset to single screen and the app will remember to stretch across both screens next time you hit the restore button), however, I'd prefer to have the controls on one screen and the photo on the other if I wished.

The problem is that when you're stretched between two monitors, the image is split between screens when you pull up a single, which is less than ideal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.