1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Can NX2 batch Auto LCH ?

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by bh626, Jul 24, 2008.

1. bh626

bh626

Mar 6, 2006
    Ontario
    When you add an LCH step to a picture, you can click on Auto Contrast. I find this to work well most of the time. What I'd like to do with LCH and other adjustments that have an "Auto" button is apply the adjustment in batch "automatically".

Let's say I run Auto LCH on a picture and get Input-8, Output-233. I can copy and paste this step but it will apply the same 8,233 to each picture. What I really want to do is have the LCH step pasted in and the Auto process run, such that the next picture might be Input-5, Output-242.

The following steps have the Auto Button feature; Curves, LCH, Auto Levels, and Photo Effects. Many times all a group of pictures needs is a quick Auto LCH or Auto Curves. A box could pop-up asking "Do you want to automatically adjust LCH for each picture?"

Can NX2 do this? If not can we make this known to Nikon?

2. Nope.

I always use the Auto button but I only use it as a point of departure. It rarely places the end points where they should be and I don't think is intended to be more than a point of departure. You'll notice that the two sliders are placed at the edges of the histogram that appears within the LCH Editor. However, that histogram is not nearly as accurate and is often not at all the same as the RGB histogram.

I wish Nikon would make the Auto button move the sliders so they correlate with the RGB histogram. I'd take that as a higher priority than making it possible to batch process the Auto button.

3. bh626

bh626

Mar 6, 2006
    Ontario
    When you paste the LCH adjustment manually, you can then click on the Auto adjust. This could easily be done in code automatically. The functions already exist... it's a matter of asking the user via a prompt if they want the LCH Auto applied. If you choose yes, the Auto function is called. For a programmer this is a no-brainer.

4. bh626

bh626

Mar 6, 2006
    Ontario
    Mike, as you probably know, the exact white and black points are determined by the Auto Contrast clip settings in preferences. My point is that the Auto LCH works for me most of time. It would be nice to have this happen with a few steps as possible. For Auto adjustments I don't like, I change those manually.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  5. jhwalker

jhwalker

Jun 10, 2008
    United States
    Just selecting the LCH control and activating auto-contrast will not produce any psychadelic effects, it simply adjusts the white and black point on the lightness channel. Obviously, the way it works now, if you do that on one image and try to apply it across many, the adjustment will be inappropriate for most of the subsequent photos. But applying auto-adjust to *each* would be great - that's all the OP is asking for (and, incidentally, me too!).

6. jhwalker

jhwalker

Jun 10, 2008
    United States
    No offense meant, Tom. But let's make sure we're talking about the same things (addressing each of your points separately).

1) Changing the preferences in "Levels & Sampling" for Black / White / Neutral levels or auto-contrast clipping will definitely *not* cause any sort of psychadelic effects unless you are simply plugging in random numbers or using different numbers across the R/G/B channels. For example, changing the Black level from 0/0/0 to 5/5/5 will have no effect on the overall color balance of your photos, it will just clip to black a bit sooner if you're using the Black / White / Neutral color controls. Conversely, changing the Neutral level from 128/128/128 to 100/140/123 *would* definitely create some odd color casts but only if you're using the Neutral color control ;-) And none of this has anything to do with a calibrated monitor - they are completely different systems and do not interact at all. NX2 does not care whether your monitor is calibrated or not (or, indeed, whether you have a monitor at all!) - it works exactly the same regardless.

2) Agreed, which is exactly what I said.

3) Yes.

In any case, what both I and the original poster want (I think) is the ability to use the facility currently provided only when you have the photo open for editing - using the LCH editor and clicking on the auto-contrast tool to automatically set the Black and White levels in the Lightness channel - in an automated fashion on each photo individually. That is, the edit step could contain the instructions to perform the auto-contrast adjustment on each individual photo instead of simply maintaining the settings you've saved (e.g., if the saved edit step contains the values 5 and 248, currently, those values would be applied literally to each photo in the batch - I'd like the results of the auto-contrast calculation on each photo to be applied to that photo in the batch). This should be easy to do, since the program already does it if you're using the LCH editor - Nikon / Nik would just have to trigger that functionality from within batch mode.

I guess you could use Auto Levels and set opacity to 100% Luminance, 0% Chrominance to get the same effect? That's definitely "batchable".

7. bh626

bh626

Mar 6, 2006
    Ontario
    It's pretty simple. Here's what I would like to see when I paste an LCH step. Maybe next release...:smile:

6f5y96.

8. This shouldn't be necessary. When the user selects "Auto Contrast" a flag can be set and unless the user changes any settings this flag could be saved in the edit step. When applied again the flag will tell the software what to do.

Very simple to implement and it would be a real time-saver for me. Now I have a unused LCH step in my set that I need to apply for each image by hand.

9. Kees,

I like using a particular combination of settings within the LCH's chroma editor that is ideal for landscapes. The entire range of color is slightly more saturated and two particular ranges of color are even more slightly saturated. It's right out of Jason's eBook. Any time I am post-processing a landscape, I load that preset and it's such a good point of departure that I don't have to tweak the chroma very often.

10. bh626

bh626

Mar 6, 2006
    Ontario
    So we agree then? Jason are you listening?

11. What landscape download are you referring to, Tom?

12. Thanks, Tom! I don't think I remember anyone mentioning that. It is now installed on my system and I'll give it a try.

My apologies to the OP that this got off-topic from batch processing the LCH Editor.

13. @Mike: I will look the settings up in the NX2 e-book and give these a try.

@Tom: I use these presets as a starting point for my D200 images and I like the results. Saves a lot of tinkering around with settings compared to what I had to do in Lightroom.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.