1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Can someone explain this cloud formation???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BourbonCowboy, Jul 29, 2007.

1. This evening I was patrolling one of our parks (in the absolute middle of nowhere). I got out of the truck for a smoke and looked up. I noticed this weird cloud formation. It looked as if the clouds parted in a straight line - and the part went from where you see below, over my head, and out of sight behind me. I was wondering if anyone knows how this happens...as I know very little about this kind of stuff. It reminded me of a reverse rainbow.
    DSC_6632.
    NIKON D200    ---    16mm    f/6.3    1/125s    ISO 800

DSC_6634.
    NIKON D200    ---    12mm    f/5.6    1/125s    ISO 800

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    i think it is a supernatureal occurance

3. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Freaky, great shot, but freaky

4. Yeah...it really freaked me out, too. I got our park attendants and a couple visiting rangers out to see it. They all wanted me to email them the shot for their desktops.

5. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    I think it is actually a shadow. It looks as if there was a fire off in the distance that was generating a column of smoke, which caused the setting sun to paint the dark stripe on the underside of the cloud layer.

-- Russ

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic shot
    Almost looks like a tornado

7. chrisnck

chrisnck

Jul 19, 2007
    mass
    Wow looks scary .

8. Hi Mark,

It looks like a cloud shadow. You might want to check out this website that discusses almost everything strange you can see in the sky:
    Atmospheric Optics

A. O. Ray and shadow page

You might want to think about submitting your photo as an example, I think yours is better than the one they are using.

Bob

9. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    You can get a much smaller but similar effect from contrail shadows, especially if the aircraft is just above a layer of ice crystals.:wink:
    Question, did you guys find the source of the fire? :biggrin::biggrin:

10. richinnj

richinnj Guest

11. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    tornado

Is it a tornado?

12. SHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! We don't say the "T" word here anymore.:biggrin:

It certainly looks like one though. But I'm thinking that Bob was right: it seems to be a cloud shadow. I learn something new here every day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.