1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Can someone explain this to me, please?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by tlong, Sep 22, 2008.

1. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    I was shooting a football game the other night and struck up a conversation with another photographer there. He was telling me that he had just bought his D90 the day before and was really disappointed with its performance at ISO 3200 and that he refused to shoot at that ISO at this game. I was a little dumbfounded when we compared settings:
    Him:
    D90, 80-200, ISO 2000, 1/1000th, f/2.8

Me:
    D300, 300 AF-I, ISO 3200, 1/640th, f/2.8

I was surprised to see that our histograms were very similar.

Why would this be?

2. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    same picture, same angle, same instant?

probably not

3. HydraShok

HydraShok

Sep 20, 2008
    Minnesota

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  4. You can't do the math like that. There is 2/3 stop difference between 1/640 and 1/1000 second. There is also 2/3 stop difference between ISO 2000 and ISO 3200. The problem with the original poster's question is, those 2/3 stops were in different directions. In other words, both their exposures were 1 1/3 stops apart. For identical histograms, the combination would have had to be ISO 2000 at 1/640 on one camera and ISO 3200 at 1/1000 on the other camera, as those are equal exposures. If we assume one person's camera was dead on with exposure, the other person's would have been 1 1/3 stop over or under exposed. Of course, one person could have been 2/3 stop underexposed while the other was 2/3 stop over exposed. Still doesn't explain the identical histograms, but you can't compare two camera's histograms unless they're shooting exactly the same picture.

Edit: Looks like you realized your error.

5. HydraShok

HydraShok

Sep 20, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yeah I did. Foot-in-mouth disease (slaps forehead). I was re-reading it and realized I had mixed up the settings.

6. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    The only thing I can figure is that the other guy was using a much wider FOV than I was...I was just shocked that there was such a big difference!

7. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    He may also have been using different metering mode.

Or evil spirits may be interfering.

8. His shot may have included more bright objects in the frame than yours.

9. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    Also, lenses could be off slightly. Not all f/X lenses are exactly T/X. I wouldn't be surprised if even newer lenses were off by 1/3 stop from their labeled f-stop value.

10. Was there a polarizer on the camera with the lower exposure (ISO 3200 1/640s)? This would easily explain a loss of 1 1/3 EV...

11. Either one of you dialed in some EV compensation?

12. I would doubt it since it was a night game.

13. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    It would for sure, but that wasn't it. Thanks for using your thinking cap on this one, though.

14. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Yea, that explains it - you are shooting at different things. Dark blue and white under same lighting can easily produce 2ev's difference in meter readings.

When we are shooting white birds under the sun usually we dial in -1 to -2 EV too!

15. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

2 different machines,2 different people,i would loose to much worry over it.

16. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    I just wanted to be at ISO 2000 and 1/1000th for obvious reasons, too! :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.