Can someone explain what it means when you select x-250 as shutter speed?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by TMR Design, Jul 23, 2008.

1. I have a D300 and while setting up my camera for fireworks last week I was dialing in some slow shutter speeds and in the process I went to 30 seconds, then bulb and then x-250. I didn't even know that was there. What is x-250?

It would seem to have something to do with the fact that 1/250s is the maximum shutter sync speed but I don't understand the setting and how it differs from setting 1/250 as shutter speed.

Can someone explain this setting? I couldn't find a real explanation in the manual.

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi robert-

found this on dpreview. confirmed it with my D3, set CF e1 to 1/100 and got x100 instead of x250.

i learned something new today :smile:

ricky

3. orfeas

orfeas

Jul 8, 2008
    greece
    Perhaps some old flash units need to find that X-speed to work.

4. Thanks Ricky,

I read that and still don't exactly understand why I would use that setting or what the difference it between using x-250 and 1/250s. What am I missing? I can't imagine a purely redundant feature so there must be some reason or intended use other than just another way to set your shutter sync speed.

5. I believe X-250 is high speed sync. In broad daylight you can use your flash to sop action (like water splashing).
    For example... at 12:00pm on the beach... you would normally shot F8 at 500th... right... well with high speed sync you can shoot F8 at 1000th with a flash poping!
    Any shutter speed over 250th, the flash won't burst unless you set it to.................X-250.:smile:

6. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi robert-

if you use the X-sync (studio strobes or other flash units), then you don't have to remember the sync speed, just set it in CF and turn the dial until you go all the way to the end and the X-sync setting. it's a convenience (since you can pick any shutter speed you want anyway), but i guess if you switch between studio and outside work, then it would be helpful.

ricky

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.