Can someone help me? At the rise of sounding stupid..

I have seen some advice here but you know when I need it I can't find it. I want, need a 300mm. I don't have ALOT of $ to spend so I was looking at the F4. Now for the stupid part...What is the difference between ED AF 1:4 and the ED IF AFS? I will use if for sports, baseball mostly. Will one sell for more than the other? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Now I sound really stupid because I misspelled risk :)

I have seen some advice here but you know when I need it I can't find it. I want, need a 300mm. I don't have ALOT of $ to spend so I was looking at the F4. Now for the stupid part...What is the difference between ED AF 1:4 and the ED IF AFS? I will use if for sports, baseball mostly. Will one sell for more than the other? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For sports, you will want the AFS version. It focuses faster than the plain AF and is newer technology. Cost wise they're not that much different, but expect the AFS to be higher. You would be able to find the older version out there used, but I would hold out for the AFS version. The reason is the AFS has the focusing motor in the lens it's self. This is a stellar lens and is highly recommended. The f/2.8 is alot more expensive and since $$$ are a major factor, you won't go wrong with the f4. The lens can be hand held, but you may want to think about a good solid monopod. I use a relativly priced Manfrotto 680B. VERY robust and folds to a nice compact size.

The ED AF has the traditional screw drive autofocus, the ED IF AFS has the more modern internal autofocus system.

The AFS model focuses much faster, it's also quieter when focusing.

I have the AF model and allthough the focus speed isn't that bad it probabablly isn't up to sports. My advice would therefore be to go with the allbeit more expensive AFS.

The non-AFS model was fine back in the days of strong torque driven camera motors, but the last camera to have a strong torque motor was the old D1 series. Stick with the AFS models.

Latest threads

Top Bottom