Can someone recommend a great wireless router

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by ubetcha, Sep 5, 2008.

1. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    I'm looking for a wireless router which allow me to attach an external hard drive and perform wireless back ups of my photos.

2. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    How about the Airport Extreme?

I've had no problems with mine - I use an external drive attached to it to share files with a PC as well. When I absolutely have to of course.... :tongue:

3. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Jez, Others have mentioned using the Airport extreme but have complained about slow transfer speed. Have you noticed your setup being slow? Does it behave like a normal external HD? Does it work with Time Machine?

4. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Here are 3. I use all 3 in my house:

Time Capsule (includes 1TB or 500GB HD)
    Airport Extreme
    Airport Express

All 3 listed above are N band and are fantastic. I use 4 Airport Expresses; 1 for a print server and 3 for remote music receivers in as many room. All 4 to extend the wireless network.

Slow transfer speed? Not here...

5. the d-link is INFINITELY faster
    i have macs in my house... but i wouldn't touch the airport extreme
    it's SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW compared to D-link's offererings

buy the D-Link Dir-655....
    trust me on this one

it's the best.... and it's not expensive

we run 4 computers in my house
    15 mbps service
    streaming video
    very bandwidth-demanding stuff
    with 3 network printers

it runs like clockwork
    i did A LOT OF RESEARCH before buying it
    you won't be disappointed

no offense to john... my friend.... above

also... the penetration through walls in incredible with the d-link and UNimpressive with the airport extreme
    i've tried them many times
    and.... once again..... I AM AN apple GUY

6. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    But can you attach an external drive to it?

7. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    I've not had a problem with transfer speeds, but I guess that's all down to personal expectations!

The drive looks like a regular HD to both Mac and PC, and it does work with Time Machine.

8. maybe not
    i guess i don't know about that
    so....
    it's the better unit... but, maybe not for this application, i suppose

9. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Is your Airport Extreme the newest N Band and Gigabit? Apple brought out 2 new models since discontinuing the "spaceship" AE. The first was N but not Gigabit. The latest is both and it blazes!! It performs equally with the Time Capsule - the HD is the difference.

10. yeah....
    i should have read the original question more carefully
    MY BAD

i'm going to the apple store tomorrow
    i'm going to try one out

sorry for my ranting..... :redface:

11. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    The pre-gigabit models should not be left on the shelves of any Apple stores, but may still be on the shelves of independent retailers. The gigabit and pre-gigabit models look identical. Big difference in speed.

12. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    John, how is this unit for wall penetration and distance. I have a lot of trouble receiving a signal at the opposite end of my house (about 80 ft and lots of walls). Is there a way to amplify the signal or would that be necessary in your opinion? BTW, why do you use 3 wireless routers in one house?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  13. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Jez, how many USB ports does the Airport Extreme have? Can I run and external HD and share a printer too?

EDIT just found the answer... One USB port, but can expand with a USB Hub for $29

14. that's great news
    thanks, as always, for the education

15. I'm not John, but since I, too, have an Airport Extreme I can answer the question. The device has one USB port, one port for the ethernet connection to your cable modem or DSL modem, and three other ethernet ports for hardwired connections.

One thing to keep in mind is that the wireless connection will only be as fast as the slowest device on it. That is, if you're running a network with a computer that has a b/g speed rather than N speed, the wireless network will run at that b/g speed when that slow computer is turned on......this is what I've been told, anyway. Two of my machines are b/g and the others are N, so I tend not to turn on the b/g ones while online with the others unless there is a particular reason to use one of them.

As for how well an AEBS works through walls and at a distance: it works just great! Until recently I was able to happily enjoy sitting out here on my balcony using my laptop with no problems. Unfortunately, we've had a few new people move into the building (I'm in a condo) and they brought along their own wireless networks. This had the effect of causing a lot of issues for me because in this building of 14 units now we have 11 of them with wireless networks -- my poor computers and network were really confused at bootup. I solved the problem by extending the range and strength of my network by adding an Airport Express in the living room. Once again I can enjoy my wireless connectivity anywhere! As I type I'm out here on my deck with the MBA right now....

Apple makes three wireless routers: one is the Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS), one is the Time Capsule, which basically is the AEBS with an integrated hard drive, meant to be used with Time Machine, and the third is the Airport Express, which is a small device which can be plugged in just about anywhere to extend one's range, stream iTunes, hook up a printer to the network, etc.

16. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Just pulled the trigger

I just pushed the button on the Airport Extreme and Usb hub. Now any recommendations for a super good one TB external HD?

17. Haven't been in the market lately for a new external HD so I don't know if G-Tech offers 1 TB ones yet but I definitely can recommend G-Tech's G-Drives.

18. I suspect it would be far easier and possibly less expensive to simply add an Airport Express!

19. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Thanks Tom for your advice, the more I discover the abilities of my new MacBoo Pro and accessories the more I like it.

thanks Connie, I think you're right!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.